Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gun Question

I am thinking about buying a 17 HMR. Do any of you have one? What are to pros and cons of this weapon? I bought a 10/22 in 1968 and still using it. It has had countless round put threw it. Thinking about retiring it.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My only dealings with one, I sighted one in for a guy once - he threw me
    two boxes of shells and said shoot it all I want.

It was neat, but I sort of question the ballistics of it, bullet so light -
    I just can't see what it does better than (or in some cases, as good as) a .22
    If I needed more than a .22, think I'd look at a .223 instead of
    one of the "magnum" rimfires, but that's just me.

When those things first came out around here, I heard all sorts of outlandish
    stories, even talk of shooting deer with them. I ain't buying into anything
    with a 25 grain bullet
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

J white, I wouldn't buy into killing a deer with a 17 HMR either, I'm sure it could be done if you were close enough and got enough rounds in it, but that's not ethical. I think the 17 HMR is a fun rifle to shoot and works great for rabbits, cats, prairie dogs, etc. I think the 17 does a better job of knocking these animals down and give me a longer range. I know when I've shot rabbits or cats with a .22 long they jumped and flopped around whereas with the 17 HMR they didn't hardly move. In the end the both got the job done. THe 17 HMR ammo is gonna cost you more, as can the rifle itself and accessories. I think there is still some novelty about owning a 17 HMR. In most situations, however, I would say a person could just stick with the 10-22 and be just fine.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by J White View Post
    My only dealings with one, I sighted one in for a guy once - he threw me
    two boxes of shells and said shoot it all I want.

It was neat, but I sort of question the ballistics of it, bullet so light -
    I just can't see what it does better than (or in some cases, as good as) a .22
    If I needed more than a .22, think I'd look at a .223 instead of
    one of the "magnum" rimfires, but that's just me.

When those things first came out around here, I heard all sorts of outlandish
    stories, even talk of shooting deer with them. I ain't buying into anything
    with a 25 grain bullet
    I fully agree other than just having fun with a wildcat cartridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinsurance View Post
    I know when I've shot cats with a .22 long they jumped and flopped around whereas with the 17 HMR they didn't hardly move. In the end the both got the job done.
    That does it for me,hate when they crawl back home leaving a blood trail

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, it's a neat little round allright. Back a few years ago,
    I'd of had to have one

I've always liked unusual calibers, though I never did quite
    get around to anything in a real wildcat chambering.

One of these days may just have to get back into shooting, used to love it.
    At least they don't take gas to run
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a chart that might help clear some of the issues up between rounds. I had a 93r17 marlin in camo. It was a neat little rifle, extremely accurate out to fifty yds which was about the limit of my plinking. It did knock out a groundhog at 178 yds, after walking the rounds in on him. I had a Sweet 17 bullet compensating scope on it that is over-rated, IMO. A good 24X variable would a good set up for that rifle. Of course, zero recoil, but a report that might be just a tick much for a more sensitive beginning shooter. Overall an excellent little gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by talltimber; 07-07-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: ,

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=zinsurance;548050]"J white, I wouldn't buy into killing a deer with a 17 HMR either, I'm sure it could be done if you were close enough and got enough rounds in it, but that's not ethical." QUOTE]

It will kill a deer! I have friend who shot one last year with his while squirrel hunting. A 100 lb doe shot in the neck. The deer stop in its tracks and dropped. The bullet fragmented.

Now I don't think shooting a deer behind the shoulder would do the trick, but a head or neck shot it will. I personally am with you on the ethical part. I want something thats going to put the deer out of it's misery quick. A good shot would do that with a .17 I guess, but it would have to be almost perfect!

Not to mention, I believe it's illegal to shoot a deer with anything .22 caliber or less here in SC. My buddy heard this after the fact!
    Last edited by Crappie Buster; 07-08-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

.17 is a bullet for paper not things with hair.....a .22 Mag will out perform on things with hair hands down....either varmit hunting out to 150 yds or up close.....even shot small hogs (+/- 100 lbs) broadside ear shots....but shot placement is everything......bullets are not that expensive even if using the higher end hornady or other hotter loads w/tips....we shoot varmits/predators (yotes drop and armadillos do a flip on a head shot with the .22 Mag) on a plantation and have used both side by side and wouldn't give a nickle for the .17 unless you gave me a nickle first....just my .22 worth
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Shine Runner on this one. Short shots it will kill a hog if you place a good shot but it is a lite load for hogs. And the wind is going to blow it all overe the place and a small limb its history. Look at the price of a box of shells too and if you run out where you have to go to find them, 22s are in about any country store.

Sam W
    Let's go fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast