Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol?!?

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ethanol?!?

Has anyone tried it in your boats or vehicles? There is a station here selling it for 3.09/gal. (can't believe that seems like a deal) My father-n-law has been running it in vehicles for a couple of weeks with no trouble. Just wondering?
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

I know it run's a little hotter,so I have been told.So I guess that mean's I dont know anything about it lol.Im sure a sciencetist will come along with the correct answer.Alot of them on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat motors are not designed to run it. It eats up rubber hoses(fuel lines) and seals in your carb. Milage is 1/3 less also. I checked and I can have my 360 changed to run it for 280$. DO NOT put it in your out board.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to use ethanol in your car or truck make sure that is a flex fuel vehicle. If not the ethanol can cause damage to your engine. The downside to ethanol (or E85) is that your fuel mileage will drop. I have seen articles on TV about it and everyone I have talked to that has used it says that thier fuel mileage is much less than with regular gas. The decrease in mileage can be so great that even though the price is less you have to buy more so the savings is nill. As for running it in a boat I would have to say NO WAY. The repair cost on the motor would be much greater than the savings on the fuel.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I used it ...

in my 1984 70HP Yamaha .... 87 octane w/10% Ethanol

never had any problems with it, and it's still running strong (according to new owners).

I would, however, follow the recommendations of the mfg (as shown in IBNFSHN's link) of any new motor.

My partner's 50HP Merc is run on the same fuel as my old Yammy ... and runs fine on it.

I really wouldn't like to see the Ethanol content rise above the current 10% level ... at least not until the outboard mfgs can adjust their motors and seals to handle it.

... cp

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

C P. ?? I see they sell ethanol over in Lexington at the Thortons Station. How much are they asking for a gallon? Thanks
    You can't finish what you don't start

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigSandyRookie View Post
    Has anyone tried it in your boats or vehicles? There is a station here selling it for 3.09/gal. (can't believe that seems like a deal) My father-n-law has been running it in vehicles for a couple of weeks with no trouble. Just wondering?
    That has got to be E-85. You do not want to run it unless your vehicle is designed for it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    That has got to be E-85. You do not want to run it unless your vehicle is designed for it.
    Yep, IBNFSHN is dead on. Do not use anything over E10 blend unless You have a flex fuel motor. The higher blends will eat up O rings and seals in your conventional motor. this includes boat motors. The marine engine producers are working on the changeover in blends. I'm sure it will be easier for them to do this with 4 strokes. E85 is alot cheaper but as someone already said, is not as efficient. Ethanol's price is pegged to gas prices to keep it a third cheaper to make up for less efficiency. rest assured though that most of the Ethanol that is blended is made right here in the U.S.A. by your local Corn farmer. Not that cat in Arabia.

CP, don't worry, they will have to keep the E10 blend for a long time until all of the conventional engines are gone. the amount of Ethanol that we produce will not support the demand of E20 yet but it is coming and only flex fuel vehicles will be able to use it. This is a good thing whether You like the Ethanol or not. You will get a choice of blends, Who you want the money to go to and what suites your car, boat, truck the best in the long run. It gives us all something We really have never had. A choice when it comes to fuel. Gives the consumer more power, and brings competition in fuels which will eventually mean lower prices. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I told ya!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast