Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Rods

I've never used a long rod before always had 6-6'6". I am a bank fisherman unfortunately but I pick my spots and do alright considering. There were some times this year that I could have killed 'em in the flooded brush if I just had a little more reach. I am looking to get a long rod and need some recommendations. I don't think I want to go longer than 12' . That Pro angler 10' looks like a great rod I just don't know if it would be long enough to make a big difference. 10 or 12 what do y'all think?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont recommend the Pro angler for jigging in hand. Its a bit heavy. Good trolling rods though. I dont care for the B&M jig poles either. Got a 10'er. Guides are too small for my liking to get good line flow. My $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Long pole jigging is my favorite method of all. I have both B&M and Wally Marshall poles and both are 11 feet. The B&M is lighter, but the WM has a stiffer spine. 11' seems to be the right lenght for me. They're great for walking a riprap bank and dropping a jig between the gaps and around brush. I have a boat, but a lot of times I'll park it and walk down the bank with my long poles.

Not trying to differ with you Treed, and while I agree the guides are narrow on the B&M, I've never had a problem with them. I just hand-feed the amount of line for the depth I want to fish.

If you get one make sure you are careful with it. They're more delicate than shorter, casting type poles. Good luck.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

I have problems with slip cork stops going through the guides, as sometimes wet mono sticking to a dry rod if the line is fresh and hasnt 'broke' in so to speak. Idk if its because im only using 1/32 or what. Not a bad rod tho, just hate the small guides.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a WM 6'6" and I love it. For the price to me it's the perfect balance of wt., sensitivity and backbone. If I could find a rod 11-12' that had that kind of action I would be happy. I know it can't have the exact action but something similar. I would rather have one more on the stiff side rather than a softer action.

Post Thanks / Like

Pro angler rods will have a cork handle option in June sometime so you may want to take a look at them then. I have no doubt that their rods are a great value when comparing to B & M and WM. I have some of all 3.

I wouldn't go for a 12', but I use the 10' for jigin' and trolling all the time. I have a 12' WM that is the heaviest rod I have.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. One more question. Looks like in the WM line the only 11' rods are the mighty lite and the universal model. the universal is a light action and the mighty lite is UL. Anyone with the universal model? Does it have a pretty good backbone?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 9' wm universal that has alot of backbone that I vertical jig with and love it.
    I caught a 10' channel cat last week with it

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 11' BnM Sam Heaton model and I would buy another one if I needed it. Sensitive and plenty of backbone.

Tracy H

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the pro angler Skip they look like nice rods. One thing I do see about them is that they have an upfront tip replacement policy the price is stated for replacements. Since that is normally what would break to me that makes me think they are a company I would like to deal with. I saw also they have a sale on 9 footers for 25 bucks. I don't use a nine footer mostly 10 to 11 but that sure is good buy price for anyone that does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast