Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are rebuilt props as good as new ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are rebuilt props as good as new ones?

I got a prop thats damaged not sure it can even be fixed has a fairly large part of a blade busted out.

Can this prop be fixed? Or would it be better to buy new?

Anyone out there with a company that they had one rebuilt with lately or recommend?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in Louisiana we kept 3 props for each motor, one on, one spare and one usually being fixed. I never noticed any difference in the trued ones versus new. But again I was only 16 to 18 . Never had pieces much larger than a quarter missing but bent up pretty bad. Ihope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

A good prop shop will make it like new! I use a shop in OKC and never have a problem.
    Endangering the crappie way of life in two different centuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asklouis View Post
    A good prop shop will make it like new! I use a shop in OKC and never have a problem.
    I agree, There's a shop in Clarksville In. that has repaired a couple for me and it would be hard to tell the difference.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asklouis View Post
    SW 44th? If so the same one I have used over the years and I agree, they do a great job. When I have picked up BADLY damaged props i have tried to see any signs of repair to no avail...looks like new, works like new until I hit something again!! Hey louis, were you fishing Tbird Wednesday by chance?
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I ever had was a spun hub.The shop pressed it out and pressed a new one in and it worked fine.I would say if someone say's they can do it they probally can.

Post Thanks / Like

Props Can Be Redone A Few Times. Every Time The Blades Get A Little Thinner. But A Good Prop Shop Can Actually Make A Prop Do Things That A New Prop Wont Do. I Have Had Them Redone For About 25 Years. There Is A Great Prop Shop In Huntsville , Al. You Can Ship It To Them And They Can Ship It Back To You. I Just Had 2 Redone To Like New. It Cost Me $160 Each For Stainless Props. If You Are Interested I Will Try To Find Their Card With Their Number. Pm Me If You Need It. I Hope This Helps.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one a while back that couldn't be redone cuz the hub had been spun out pretty bad. I remember a long time ago that some of the blade missing was OK, but most of a blade missing wasn't. All the input I have, except that have been running a rebuilt on my boat for 3 yrs, as good as a new one. When I need another, I'll contact a rebuild shop first. They sometimes have some that folks haven't picked up or whatever and they save $$. Let us know how it all goes.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

OKC prop shop does stainless for 95.00 and aluminum for 65.00 and they do a great job. They will add an extra little lip on the blade and you would think you went down in pitch cause it will get you out of the hole alot more quicker. I have had several different sizes and pitches redone by them and have been very satisfied with every one. They actually weld new material on the prop and shape it from there had half a blade missing once and it didn't cost me any more to have it done.
    Last edited by grubby; 05-29-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

OKC prop shop sounds like a great shop grubby. Do you perhaps have a phone number or a web site so I can contact them? The one in Clarksville IN sounds attractive as well since that is about an hour away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast