Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cayuga Lake help

flboater Guest

Default Cayuga Lake help

Hello everyone. I recently found this website while trying to learn more about crappie fishing. I live right between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. I have fished Seneca nearly my whole life and just started fishing on Cayuga last year. I want to try crappie fishing soon on Cayuga Lake, I know they catch them around the north end. I don't really know when to start looking for them or exactly where to go and I'm wondering what the best lures are here. I've always used fathead minnows and little mister twisters or white jigs on ponds. Does anybody know where to fish on the canal for crappie? I very rarely go on the canal. I have spent my whole life fishing for everthing from bass to trout but never really tried crappie fishing until I starting trying Cayuga Lake out. I would really appreciate any hints or tips that anyone wants to share.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flboater
    Hello everyone. I recently found this website while trying to learn more about crappie fishing. I live right between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. I have fished Seneca nearly my whole life and just started fishing on Cayuga last year. I want to try crappie fishing soon on Cayuga Lake, I know they catch them around the north end. I don't really know when to start looking for them or exactly where to go and I'm wondering what the best lures are here. I've always used fathead minnows and little mister twisters or white jigs on ponds. Does anybody know where to fish on the canal for crappie? I very rarely go on the canal. I have spent my whole life fishing for everthing from bass to trout but never really tried crappie fishing until I starting trying Cayuga Lake out. I would really appreciate any hints or tips that anyone wants to share.
    Yea, Ive fished it in the past. The north end turns on about the first run of 70 degree air temperature. Its not hard to find where they are biting. Just look for all the boats in shallow water. As I recall I launched on the NW side and fished in the north end near swamp and timber. There are some real nice crappie there. Good luck and use fathead minnows. Chub

Post Thanks / Like

flboater..o.k. let's see here...canal?? if you are talking about the canal that goes to seneca falls , from the locks in cayuga, go to the locks in s,falls but keep heading to the right..not in the locks itself.. there is a damn there were the depth is 30' deep in spots. Locate the school with your electronics, then fish with fatheads or experiment with different colored tube jigs, fish the outer edges by shore, also follow the wall that seperates the falls from the locks...if your on cayuga lake I always fish the north end, fish inside the first bridge by beecon feed mill..also head to the third bridge (on the lake side) there is a little feeder crick there..also infront of the state park, they call this "the steps"...right about now I have started looking for them,the water temp hasn't reached the desired 51 yet,but it's coming....good luck...hope this helps...dave p.s. don't be afraid to use small crank baits pulled some 2 1/2 pounders out last spring
    Last edited by fishnfilet; 04-26-2005 at 04:24 PM.

flboater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfilet
    flboater..o.k. let's see here...canal?? if you are talking about the canal that goes to seneca falls , from the locks in cayuga, go to the locks in s,falls but keep heading to the right..not in the locks itself.. there is a damn there were the depth is 30' deep in spots. Locate the school with your electronics, then fish with fatheads or experiment with different colored tube jigs, fish the outer edges by shore, also follow the wall that seperates the falls from the locks...if your on cayuga lake I always fish the north end, fish inside the first bridge by beecon feed mill..also head to the third bridge (on the lake side) there is a little feeder crick there..also infront of the state park, they call this "the steps"...right about now I have started looking for them,the water temp hasn't reached the desired 51 yet,but it's coming....good luck...hope this helps...dave p.s. don't be afraid to use small crank baits pulled some 2 1/2 pounders out last spring

I'm a little confised about the bridges. I know where the large railroad bridge is on the east side where the old pier runs to the south. It covers the channel that leads to the locks. If I remember correctly there is a smaller brideg maybe on the other side of the old pier? There is another very low bridge to the west heading toward the northwest corner of the lake. I know where the old rockpiles are underwater from the old bridge than ran across the lake. I always see plenty of around the north end but they seem scattered around. I may try it saturday if the weather cooperates.

Post Thanks / Like

the first bridge is where the channel goes through, to the right(if heading from lake to locks)is another little bridge w/feeder crick good spot when water level is high like now...second bridge is to the left, a 12 area flows through,then the last railroad brg. try that rock pile with fatheads or rosy reds.... try infront of state park (steps)...picked up limit last night at mays point on the river side,had to go through tons of little ones to get to the bigger ones goodluck sat..............Dave

flboater Guest

Thanks for the info. If the weather cooperates I should be able to give it a try Saturday.

August West Guest

Thumbs up Hello

Quote Originally Posted by flboater
    Welcome to the site. The NY section was just added thanks to Fishnfilet from Auburn. We have been catching quite a few crappie around your area. I am from Skaneateles, right down the road. We would be more than happy to hook up with you and catch some slabs. Fishnfilet will be going on Sat. early evening. Give me a Personal message if you can go.

Post Thanks / Like

ok.....pulled a few tricks out last night....worked good!!!

Post Thanks / Like

56 viewed these messages and no one can comment??? just take my info and run?? come on, share your success, or failure.....water temp getting up to 48-50 in certain spots on north end, won't be long, still getting reports of catches but no big numbers yet....did see picture of 16" slab , hit a nightcrawler when guy was bullheading at freebridge...........Dave

flboater Guest

Well the weather Saturday certainly didn't cooperate very well. This coming weekend looks like it might be a little nicer, hopefully I can get out then. I don't enjoy fishing in the pouring rain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast