Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to save gas?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do to save gas?

Here is what I've come up with so far.

Be sure tires are inflated to max as written on side of tire.

If you look ahead and see that you are going to have to stop, take your foot off the gas and coast till you have to hit the breaks. Saves wear and tear on the brakes too.

Keep a clean air filter installed.

Any more??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Walk.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

The wife has a Chevrolet Suburban and I have a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. I am thinking of getting a golf cart lol. We are fixing to take a vacation and I have had to set aside over $500.00 just for gas for the vacation.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Automatic transmision ....

is what I have in my truck --- so I put it in Neutral, when stopped at a stop light. Less pull on engine should equate to less gas burned ... or so I think :p ... I could be wrong. :o
    Saving up all my trips to stores around town, then hitting them in one round trip ... rather than driving from home to store to home, on seperate occasions/different days. It's pretty easy for me, though, since I only have myself to take care of

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

check your brakes. My '98 Explorer started making a grinding sound in front. checked and the caliper had locked up on the rotor becasue of rust on the glide pins. new pads, knocked off teh rust and relubed the caliper glide pins= 3+ more mpg.

Otehr than that, make sure tires are inflatedm run lighter weight oil if you can (newer Ford's use 5W30 sythetic blend), keep the air filter clean, drive with a soft foot keeping the rpms under 2500.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I have slowed down! It was suprising to see the differance driving 5 mph slower makes.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I let my tailgate down.It create's less drag I would think.I heard that it is hard on the bedside's to do that for a long period.I might get one of those webbed gate's and remove my tailgate.I heard on the radio it's cheaper to run the air cond than drive with a window down???

Post Thanks / Like

Slow down, get rid of excess weight in the trunk or truck bed, keep tires inflated, keep your engine tuned. Other than that, drive less. I have seen many gadgets and am really tempted to try one, but I have my doubts. Mythbusters tested the tailgate theory and found that tailgate up is better than down, but a webbed gate is better than either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It offsets it

Quote Originally Posted by Slipped Cork View Post
    I let my tailgate down.It create's less drag I would think.I heard that it is hard on the bedside's to do that for a long period.I might get one of those webbed gate's and remove my tailgate.I heard on the radio it's cheaper to run the air cond than drive with a window down???
    I read a Consumer Reports about it and they said that at the higher speeds, the Air Con is almost as good as having the windows down because of the drag effect that the windows have. So, one might as well be comfortable.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Slip Cork sorry myth busters proved that to be wrong. The only thing that work was one of those net tail gates people install.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast