Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: YUM panfish baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default YUM panfish baits

Have any of you seen the UM panfish baits that look like small crayfish??? Do you know where you can get them? I picked up a few packages cuz they looked neat and thought they may work. Tried them a few times without much luck until Fri and Sat. Went to a local city lake that had a bunch of old concrete and rock along the banks. Rigged one up on a 1/16 oz head and started casting. My son was catching them on a regular jig with red/chart body but I was catching 3 to 1. Yesterday (Sat) I took my grandson back and we caught another 30 or so crappie but started catching BIG blgill on it. The color was a red sparkle or a red/black. Black/purple didn't produce.

My thinking is that these will work well in other rock areas on lakes I fish! They were in a promo box at Walmart but can't seem to find them anywhere else or just missed them. Anyone else seen or used them??

P.S. these are the 1.5 inch ones not the 3 inch bass lures.

Post Thanks / Like

I started using them several years ago wading the streams locally. They are dynamite for bass, panfish and sometimes a cat will even bite one. I get mine at BPS. There are several different colors and some days one works better than the others. I have never figured a pattern for color choice so I just experiment every time until I find the one they like best that day. One way to use them is to get some of the Charlie Brewer slider heads, the flat ones. I got some 1/16 oz and they work great. The way the head works it helps the bait swim in a realistic manner when you do short jerk or pull retrieves. I also use the YUM craw scent on them. That seems to help.

The best day I have had with them I had a 3+ lb smallmouth, several more in the 1.5 to 2.5 lb range and a whole bunch of redeye (or rock bass) that went in the 1 lb range. On a 5 ft ultralite and 4 lb line it was a blast. I really don't know how many I caught that day but it was over 40. I don't keep any of the fish from the streams here because there is enough pressure that they could get fished out if you did. I carry the small rapala scale to weigh anything that looks good.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.