Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: West Texas Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Texas Spawn

From the crappie I have cleaned the last several days, the spawn is rapidly ending on the lakes I am fishing. Cleaned fish appear to be 50/50 with those still carrying eggs and those spawned out. Water temps. on the Abilene lakes are 70-71 degrees. Starting to see tiny fry in the shade of willows and brush on the banks.

Guys, we don't usually get enough rain very often to have mayfly hatches, but these crappie love those mayflies when they hatch out. I bet the jig makers on here can duplicate the colors of a mayfly, but the crappie love those things, just does not last long out here with the heat and dry weather. Perhaps just another tool in your arsenal if you have mayfly hatches and have wondered.

Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ron,

isthis anything like what you were using?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

The jig you posted will work excellent for the mayfly bite. I recommend the smaller sizes like 1/32oz or smaller if you are imitating the mayflies. The crappie did not hit as well without the multiple colored tail, have no idea why, but that was what they wanted on this particular day.

Good job.

Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber View Post
    The jig you posted will work excellent for the mayfly bite. I recommend the smaller sizes like 1/32oz or smaller if you are imitating the mayflies. The crappie did not hit as well without the multiple colored tail, have no idea why, but that was what they wanted on this particular day.

Good job.

Ron, Mud-Dabber
    I can make it in 1/64 #8 & #6 Sickle as well as 1/32 #8, #6, #4 Sickle. I also have regular bend in each size.

What size and style hook do you think would be best? I may be able to get them here on that too.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Skip:

I found the slower the fall of the jig the better, as the crappie were high in the water column picking off the mayflies as they fell into the water. The jig I used was a 1/32oz. with the sickle hook that Tommy Crenshaw made for me. The size and hook type is just a personal preference, each person probably has a favorite. The smaller profile the better it was for me.

Good Fishing,
    Mud

Post Thanks / Like

good luck
    a bad day fishing is better than a good day at school