Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beginning of spawn interupted by cold front??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginning of spawn interupted by cold front??

Tues and wed of last week I saw the first signs of fish moving in to spawn. Tuesday I had an air temp of about 80 and caught maybe a dozen crappie, Wednesday air temp was 84 and I caught about 50 and noticed alot more females moving in. Well Thursday It got cold rainy and temp in the 40/50's. Friday I fished in the cold and only caught the males up shallow still guarding the nest, (let them all go) I figure that the females backed up from the shallows to suspend.

My Question: what are some good tactics to try and catch these fish that have moved off the shallows because of the cold snap. They have got to still be feeding like crazy. Does anyone use slip floats and minnows or possibly swim and jig or minnow. I need some reassurance that these fish will bite and how I can get them to do so

Post Thanks / Like

We"ve Got The Same Thing Here-last Week It Was In The 80"s.turned Cold And Stormy Yesterday,today Its 42*!this Will Send The Crappie To Closest Deep Water As Stated By Moose.i"ve Been Told & Assume Its True That The Females Can Hold Their Eggs For Quite Awhile.the Water Temp & Conditions Have To Be Right Or They Wont Spawn!i"m Sure Some Have Here- But The Main Bulk Are Waiting On Mother Nature. Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com