Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Georgia Produce.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fresh Georgia Produce.

Georgia has some of the best veggies and fruit anywhere.. That is if you can get it fresh.. For years my slogan has been "Traveling the Southeast to bring you fresh from the farm produce".
    All of the major farms are leaning more towards shipping north instead of local wholesale. This puts the little fella>>FalconSmitty<< at a disadvantage.
    With all of us spread all over the state I know some of you know some farmers or brokers. I buy Peaches, maters, taters, cucumbers,squash, cantaloupe, all melons, peas, beans, cabbage...if it grows fresh in Ga I want to sell it.. If any of you can help me or if you are a grower, shipper, or packer or know someone that is...
    Please pm me with your help..

Thanks yall,
    Smitty

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Thinkin seriously about doin some next year, gotta get some fence up,before I try it though,deer would probably rip me a new one. Seems like they would be shippin less due to gas debacle, guess folks up north will pay for it.
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 05-14-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw1&2 View Post
    Thinkin seriously about doin some next year, gotta get some fence up,before I try it though,deer would probably rip me a new one. Seems like they would be shippin less due to gas debacle, guess folks up north will pay for it.
    they send #1 quality north for the highest dollar and we get stuck with culls and #2 stuff but almost a # 1 price.. Florida is the worst at it. The farmers won't even sell to you unless you are a Broker. it sucks..Walmart, kroger, cosco, publix and other major chains get the best stuff then it trickles down hill. I have some Farmers that I get it direct from.. I'll even just buy an entire field and do the labor myself if the price is right..well get the labor done..picking is for the young fellas...

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know of a website that list local growers that sell to the general public? I had much rather buy from someone local and support the local growers than I had see the money go out of state. My wife and I buy as much as we can from locals in Lizella and Musella that have excellent produce when in season.

Bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill Bill View Post
    Does anyone know of a website that list local growers that sell to the general public? I had much rather buy from someone local and support the local growers than I had see the money go out of state. My wife and I buy as much as we can from locals in Lizella and Musella that have excellent produce when in season.

Bluegill
    I was up on old hwy 341 in musella last thursday..at dickey's orchards..
    Florida and Alabama have list of registered mom and pop produce stands. Georgia doesn't that I have found. I am registered in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia as a ag dealer. I wish Georgia had a list of roadside stands and they should. It would make it easier to find and sell to them. Most small operations don't have the means to travel and gather produce from the farms. So I can usually give them a better price than the wholesalers.

Post Thanks / Like

i was gonna say i heard lizella had some farmers/sellers that had good produce.lol i heard that last night..was gonna post for smitty but you beat me to it bluegill
    things are gettin tight folks.i need to learn to do a garden

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small garden that I plant each year but some things I just don't have the sunlight for. I live back in the woods and I don't like cutting my trees down unless I really need too. I have bush beans, tomatos, squash, peppers, and potatos but I buy peas and white corn, onions and some other vegetables from the locals if there in season. I need to expand my garden so I can start canning and in order to do so I'm going to have to cut some trees. They are oak trees so it will be good firewood for the winter. I think we're all going to have to do more to support ourselves in the very near future, but thats a whole different subject.

Bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty , don't know if you have tried this guy, Larry Grier, he is at the market at forestpark and lots of acers planted with peas and I don't know what all. He sells peas to just about every vendor at the market. His farms are in Buena Vista, Ga his phone # is home 229-649-7643, cell 1 706-326-5486, cell2 706-329-3931. We get about 3 bushels a year from him. Just can't beat good peas all year....Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS WILLIS View Post
    Smitty , don't know if you have tried this guy, Larry Grier, he is at the market at forestpark and lots of acers planted with peas and I don't know what all. He sells peas to just about every vendor at the market. His farms are in Buena Vista, Ga his phone # is home 229-649-7643, cell 1 706-326-5486, cell2 706-329-3931. We get about 3 bushels a year from him. Just can't beat good peas all year....Dennis
    thanks DW I'll sure be speaking with him..

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty, I wish you were closer to my area. My wife and I would be good customers. We would rather buy veggies from a roadside stand than the grocery store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast