Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Issue ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Issue ?

I just switched over this year to Suffix Elite in 6 lb test. Generally I really like this line. It seems very strong for the # class and seems to perform well, but I have been having a significant problem. I get a lot of nasty wind knots. At times they are relatively easy to undo, but I would rather avoid them altogether if possible. I used to use Stren Clear Blue exclusively and the only time I got wind knots with that line was when there was a loop on the spool and I didnt realize it. Though with the Suffix it happens randomly and when I made sure there was no loop on the spool? Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem with this line, or will I have to scrap it? Let me know. Thanks!

CG

Post Thanks / Like

When I make several short cast it happen's to me too.I try to make a long cast every now and then to set the line on the reel tight again.If you notice a loop in your line loosen the drag and pull the line until the loop is gone.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Gitter ....

Quote Originally Posted by CritterGitter View Post
    I just switched over this year to Suffix Elite in 6 lb test. Generally I really like this line. It seems very strong for the # class and seems to perform well, but I have been having a significant problem. I get a lot of nasty wind knots. At times they are relatively easy to undo, but I would rather avoid them altogether if possible. I used to use Stren Clear Blue exclusively and the only time I got wind knots with that line was when there was a loop on the spool and I didnt realize it. Though with the Suffix it happens randomly and when I made sure there was no loop on the spool? Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem with this line, or will I have to scrap it? Let me know. Thanks!

CG
    Sometimes "wind knots" are caused by the wind :p ... or, more accurately, casting direction vs wind direction. They can also be caused by the way you cast ... especially if you're a snap cast (wrist flick) kind of caster. And really light baits (<1/16oz) are, seemingly more likely the weights being thrown, when these happen. If you're a "snap caster", and especially if you're throwing a light bait, only have about 3" of line out ... between your bait & your rod tip, when you go to cast. This will help keep the bait from swinging out of sync, on your backhand move, and not give you enough slack for the bait to catch on the line ... as you snap the rod forward. Or, you can slow down your cast, or cast sidearm ... either of which can help eliminate some of those "knotty" incidents.
    Once your bait has reached "splashdown" ... if you engage the bail by hand, do it right then and look at the reel as you do. That will insure that there's no loops ready to form, no loop/line hanging onto the reel face, and that your line is taught enough to start your retrieve. If you engage the bail by cranking the handle ... once the bait has reached "splashdown" -- start lifting your rod up, and crank the handle when the rod is about halfway to your normal retrieve position. This will pull slack out, and the bail will catch the line before a loop can form.

This info is based on my interpretation of what a "wind knot" is .... that being, a knot that forms in your line during the casting process. Hope it helps !!

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like CP said, getting into the practice of manually closing your bail just before the bait hits the water makes all the difference in the world. It takes a little practice but eventually you start doing it without thinking about it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know about avoiding the loop on the spool. I manually close my bail about 98% of the time. I do snap cast and I was really whipping it the other day and casting some light baits so that may have been part of it.

I did get some feedback on another site that might be part of the problem. The knots I am getting seem to be related to twist in my line. So, did I spool it on backwards or put twist in it when I spooled it? I always thought that if there was tension on the line then you wouldn't get twist so I hold the line spool while my wife winds the line onto the reel. Is this not the proper way to put line on the spool? Thanks for the advice guys.

CG

Post Thanks / Like

Two things will cause line twist on a spinning reel. cranking against the drag and
    improper installation. Once it's done, you can fix it by letting all the line out behind the
    boat while moving at trolling speed( no lure or any terminal tackle attached).
    Then just reel the line back it, all the twists will be gone. If you don't have a boat,
    you can " walk it off" . Open the bail and walk the line out to the end. Reel it up, and
    you may have to repeat this a couple of times to let all the twist out of the line.

good luck
    Mo
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

When I spool my spinning reels, I lay the line spool down and start reeling for about ten
    cranks , I lower the rod tip and check for twist, turning the spool over if needed. Turning the spool one way or the other will result in less twist. (I.E. label up or label down). I will still " walk it off " afterwards. (see above)

good luck
    Mo
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I'll add to this .....

Quote Originally Posted by CritterGitter View Post
    Yes, I know about avoiding the loop on the spool. I manually close my bail about 98% of the time. I do snap cast and I was really whipping it the other day and casting some light baits so that may have been part of it.
    I did get some feedback on another site that might be part of the problem. The knots I am getting seem to be related to twist in my line. So, did I spool it on backwards or put twist in it when I spooled it? I always thought that if there was tension on the line then you wouldn't get twist so I hold the line spool while my wife winds the line onto the reel. Is this not the proper way to put line on the spool? Thanks for the advice guys.
    CG
    Could be 6lb line is too much for the reel.
    Could be Suffix Elite is stiffer than Stren Clear Blue.
    Could be the reel spooling method used.
    Could be the bait spinning, as it's sailing thru the air, after being cast.

Normally, when spooling line on a spinning reel, you lay the line spool on the floor ... label side up ... and crank about 8-10 revolutions of the handle. Then drop the rod down towards the line spool, and see if the line twists into more/tighter coils than when you started. If not ... continue to fill reel to within about 1/8" of the edge of the spool lip. If it does ... flip the line spool over (label down) and proceed. And, yes ... you do need to create tension on the line, as it goes on the reel spool. I usually do this, by running the line thru my finger/thumb ... between the reel & 1st guide.

Dragging the first 1/3spool of your line, behind the boat, at idle speed ... will help untwist your line. The very nature of a spinning reel, and how it operates, is going to impart some line twist ... even if it's only the coil in the line that's wrapped around the reel spool. Casting a jig imparts even more twist, as the jig does have a tendancy to spin on occasion, when being cast.

Loops forming on your reel spool ... are a sign of loose/slack line being overwrapped by the bail (and/or twisted line). Twists in the line only add insult to injury ... and generally make the loops form more easily and/or more often. The less tension the line is under, when being wrapped around your reel spool, the more chance of line problems.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! CP you da man. I'll pull the line off and get the twists out. Thanks again.

CG

Post Thanks / Like

I never knew there was that much info on a wind knot.I dont think I still understand it.I use cheap line so this is new to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast