Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Giving them a break

Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving them a break

Only been off the water a few days in the last three months and the catching is getting a bit slow so I'm going to take a few days off and take the wife and boys down to San Antonio.

We're going to Sea World one day and I guess we're stopping by The Alamo.

Anyone have any suggestions for "Can't Miss" attractions down there?

We've had some unusually cool weather this week and our surface temps fell back into the upper 70s. The crappie don't appear to be moving into the deeper brushpiles yet but their not showing up very well on the shallower ones either.

Hopefully when I get back they will be settled into their summer pattern and we can start getting respectable catches again.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Things have sure slowed down here on Lake Wylie SC also. Finding them in the same ol' spots but not getting near the numbers. Since the Bassmaster Classic is being held here this weekend I guess the crappies will be gettin alittle less pressure.

I lived in San Antonio for 7 years and loved it. Lunch and a stroll on the Riverwalk is a must do while you're in town. Also, have some "meskin" food while you're there.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys,

We made it to San Antonio and the wife brought her laptop so I could check on y'all!

It's Sea World tomorrow and the River Walk Saturday.

It was raining when we left and looked like it was going to rain all day.

Wonder if the crappie are biting - I'm gonna need a good thump in a day or two!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sea World was GREAT!!!!!

Wonder if the crappie are biting back home?????

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default In-Fisherman Aug/Sept Issue is a good one on crappie

Hey Jerry:
    Good to see your having fun OFF THE WATER. lol If you get desperate you can pick up a copy of In-Fisherman and read about fishing at the Motel Room or whereever you stay the nights.

There is a good article on summer slabs ie Suspended Crappies.

BTW these two guys gave me a 14" White Crappie that went about 1.5lbs the other night. They fished this pit that I have been fishing a lot and caught it on a Mans Minus One crank bait near a drop off. This is the second time that some bass fisherman has caught these big (for this pit) crappie and given them away to me. The last or first time someone gave me those 14" crappie I gave it to a kid at the boat ramp after fishing all day long and only catching 8" crappie. I didn't want to clean fish that night so I gave the kid all my little crappie and that one 14" crappie. The kid is a Russian Immigrant who recently moved into town. I see him and his father at the pit almost every week.

This time I kept the other 14" crappie and have it in my bait bucket with a aeorator going to keep him alive. My Aquarium is too small for this fish as he can't fit from the front of the aqarium to the rear without bending his tail. The aquarium is only about 10" deep. This crappie (14" one) make the other crappies in my aquarium look small. The other largest white crappie in my aquairum must only be 10" long at the most. Hopefully this new 14" crappie will survive a few more days. I may get my next door neighbor to take a digital picture of it for use on the internet. But it's not that big as far as crappie go. But these pits are not know for producing big crappie so this is a big crappie for these stripper pits, especially with all the fishing pressure that they get. I see this big one as hope that maybe there are more slabs out there in the water.

I fished last night until around 2 AM and then called it quites after only catching one dink crappie and no bass. The night before I got into a bunch of 1.5lb bass that hit one after another. I used jigs and minnow the other night and caught ten of those LM bass. I also caught a few crappie and some bluegills that night. But last night was cold as ice. Only one fish all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Sea World was GREAT!!!!!

Wonder if the crappie are biting back home?????

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Cool TX Vaca

Hey Jerry, when you go to see the Alamo, be on the look out for Ozzie Ozborn! Ha Ha!

I have always said that the fish are not biting good, unless I am fishing! At least that is one of the excuses I use to go as much as I do. It's a humanitarian thing. If you get the Jones too bad, maybe they will let you put on a seminar at Sea World!! LOL

I look forward to reading your reports when you get back. Have fun down there, & just relax. Afterall, the fish aren't biting....!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim,

We did have a good, relaxing time in San Antonio but I'm back and gonna hit em first thing in the morning.

Looks like we may have some high pressure to deal with but it should be falling some as the front that went through here over the weekend has moved on and the next one is still way out west.

Looks like midweek will be the best time but I aint waiting till then to find out.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry you have got it bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Gary,

It's a tough job - but somebody has to do it!!!

They didn't want to play this morning. Had lots of bites and a couple brought to the top that we missed but only kept 4 crappie, 2 spotted bass, a white bass and a hybrid white bass.

But, it beats working for a living!!!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

hang in there jerry maybe greg and i will get to come back this winter sometime and help ya haul them to the bank.