Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kool-Aid Hot Dogs ?????? for cat fishing

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Kool-Aid Hot Dogs ?????? for cat fishing

I know this is a Crappie fishing forum, but sometimes the Crappies just won't bite. This is something you might try during that lull period. I was reading the sports section of the paper and ran across this notice. Has anyone heard of or tried something like this??? I am going to quote the few sentences...

"For the ultimate in simplicity, though, buy cheap chicken hot dogs and slice them into one inch pieces. Place in a quart container and add two packages ofstrawberry Kool-Aid (unsweetened) and two tablespoons minced garlic. Fill the container with water, and allow the franks to marinate overnight. These make great cat baits (or midnight snacks.)"
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the midnight snack part.

Post Thanks / Like

I never try it with Kool-Aid but I use hot dogs with garlic salt and it works real good.
    Sometimes You're the Windshield... Sometimes You're the Bug!

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with some sunday on pickwick. Caught one channel cat a lil over 2 lbs. My dad was using worms and caught a 1 lb 11 ounce crappie in 56 feet of water. He was reeling it in saying it was just a small catfish and when it got to the surface we couldn't believe it. My dad only caught one almost 2 pounder on the worms. He kept saying he was bringing minnows next time.

Me and a friend caught a bunch of channel cats in the waterway on them. I blacken them in a cast iron skillet and cut em up into one inch chunks. Then add water, garlic powder, and cherry kool-aid to them and let em sit overnight. I heard the red kool aid makes it look like bleeding bait. The best part is the chicken hot dogs are only 88 cents.
    Last edited by daltreypark; 05-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    1995 Skeeter ss90, Force 90hp, Motorguide Pro Series 5200, Lowrance 520c, Humminbird 565, Hi-Tek Rod Holders
    www.myspace.com/daltreypark

Post Thanks / Like

We have been using koolaid dogs for a couple of yrs.They work well especially since there so cheap.We also put dogs in with pickle juice and added the kool aid.It worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use red food coloring on them when I use them.
    Fished at Pickwick this evening after trying the boat out. And caught 13 blues in an hour.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used Kool aid soaked in chicken breast, works real well. Hot dogs are a little cheaper, but I cant keep them on the hook.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I have always used Kool aid soaked in chicken breast, works real well. Hot dogs are a little cheaper, but I cant keep them on the hook.
    That's why I blacken mine in the cast iron. It makes it harder to come off the hook. I like to sling it out from the boat about 100 feet and drag it while I'm drifting.
    1995 Skeeter ss90, Force 90hp, Motorguide Pro Series 5200, Lowrance 520c, Humminbird 565, Hi-Tek Rod Holders
    www.myspace.com/daltreypark

Post Thanks / Like

yep, the kool aid hotdogs have been around for a long time. I used to use them when I used to fish for channel cats. Always caught enough to feed the family for a couple 3 or 4 meals.

Post Thanks / Like

Alum(n?) is another way to toughen up the 'dogs. It's in the baking isle of the grocery store. Just put a little Alum powder on them in a baggie overnight and they'll toughen right up!
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."