Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie rod & reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie rod & reel

I've found the easiest rod & reel setup for my wife to use, I like them too, is the underspin or triggerspin type reel. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good combo and where to purchase them. Seems most of them are priced pretty cheap, as in possibly low quality. Am I right about that, or are they a decent setup. I haven't handled any of them, just looking at pictures in magazines. Sometimes paying more doesn't really get you more. If anyone out there is using one and you are happy with it, let me know. Thanks, Ron

FISH4DUG Guest

My Buddy Uses The Diawa Brand, They Are Ok For Crappie Fishing, Using A Bober And Minnow, The Drag Is Sub Par, I Used One Of Them, Didnt Like It. They Are Kinda Of Cheap. However He Loves Them, He Bought Them At Wallmart. I Think For Your Wife They Will Work Great. I Wouldnt Recomend Using Them For Any Thing Else Other Than Crappie. I Hope This Helps..... Fish4dug

Post Thanks / Like

Default Triggerspin

I have used a Shakespear microspin on a 10' B&M Jig pole most of the fishing I have done in FL. this winter. I have been very happy with this rig. I mostly
    vertical jig but do some flipping and occasional short casts.
    This works for me.
    Joe

E=Shellback]I've found the easiest rod & reel setup for my wife to use, I like them too, is the underspin or triggerspin type reel. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good combo and where to purchase them. Seems most of them are priced pretty cheap, as in possibly low quality. Am I right about that, or are they a decent setup. I haven't handled any of them, just looking at pictures in magazines. Sometimes paying more doesn't really get you more. If anyone out there is using one and you are happy with it, let me know. Thanks, Ron[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    I have used the (Daiwa Regal) underspin. Yeah the drag is terrible and the line sometimes catches when I throw out the line, But for a beginner, or someone who doesn't like things to technical the underspin is fine. I myself use the ... I believe it is the (Procaster PS40) gold model with 6 pd. Pline and it works ok with a bobber set up. It is not a underspin model.
    Gloves up!
    Rick.
    Last edited by Cincinnati; 04-18-2004 at 09:14 PM.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

I have used both the Shakespear micro and the Zebco 11T for a few years. They both work real well. The drag on both are adequate for panfish but lacking for bigger fish. I like the zebco only marginally better as the T handle is easier to use. They both cast smooth and have held up to some serious fishing (abuse). They have been used both on casting and jigging poles. The zebco is a little more expensive but I believe it is worth it as it has more metal in its construction.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels

Dickeyboy, Since you have both the Zebco and the Shakesphere, could you tell me which trigger handle is closer to the rod, or are they both about the same? The reason I'm asking is the closer it is, the easier it will be for my wife to operate with her small hands. She also has M.S. will makes everything more difficult for her. I'm back in the country, live on a dirt road and there isn't much selection of crappie tackle around my way. So I'm trying to weed thru stuff before I mail order for something. I've got a couple Quantum's right now and ain't too impressed, all plastic! Thanks to all who have responded.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I just purchased four of the Zebco 11t micro gold reels. They seem to work very well for me. Since it is the micro the trigger should be closer to the handle due to the reel being smaller. The continuous anti reverse is what sold me. It helps the hook ups while spider rigging when the rod is not in your hand.

slab_seeker Guest

I've used Quantum, Diawa and a Zebco triggerspin and have just recently bought a johnson for my step-daughter. I like the Zebco 11T the best, with Quantum 2nd and Diawa 3rd. The Johnson Scorpion seems to be a decent reel, have'nt used it enough to tell yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels

I want to thank everyone for their replies, seems like the Zebco gets the nod so far. Basspro has a Bill Dance crappie rod and Zebco 11T combo for about $25. I guess that's the direction I'll head for now.

Crappie15 Guest

I use a Zebco Legacy triggerspin on my 10 foot crappie rod. I like the fact that the line is covered by the "cap" of the reel, so it dosen't get tangled and frayed by brush or wood when verticle jigging near heavy cover. The drag seems pretty smooth to me, but the retrieve is a bit slow, which dosen't really matter since I use it for jigging most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast