Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkeys

What did you get? I've not killed one yet. Dad got a two yo bird the first morning. 9"-7/8"-~18# The one he took was in a group of four. Season here was a little late I think. Just to our north, thirty miles or so, still henned up.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the best hunt in years earlier this year. I couldn't hunt until afternoon so I just started walking a ridge top where I would stop and call every so often. I came to a peak on the ridge top and decided to call before cresting teh peak, so as to not spook whatever may be on the other side. Almost immediately four jakes popped up over the hill and were staring at me, just twenty yards away. I wasn't ready for that, so had to just watch them mill around and retreat back over the hill as I couldn't get my gun up without spooking them. I started calling to try adn coax them back over the hill, but had no luck. I decided to try and sneak over the hill to get a visual so I could maybe circle around on them. When I crested the hill, I heard the most aweful sounds just down the ridge. I soon identified the sounds as turkeys fighting. As I was creeping closer, I could make out three very large mature gobblers flogging the snot out of one jake they had pinned to the ground. they kept taking turns spurring the on ejake while the others would chase and spur the other jakes. It was the loudest and craziest thing I have seen up close. As They fought, I managed to crawl within gun range of them. After watching them for two minutes or more (seemed like an eternity) I finally got one gobbler to stand still with his head up, for what I thought to be a good shot. Somethning went wrong, because I ended up walking out of the woods without a turkey that morning. Just goes to show that even when patient and taking a "good" shot, there are other variables, and nothing is for sure. Even after not getting a bird, it was still one of the best hunts I have ever had.
    I did end up taking a two year old bird days later in the same location. That morning, I had the bird answer me from teh roost, fly down, and start walking toward me, when I heard some now familiar noises once again just down the ridge. The bird I was watching folded up his feathers and came out of strut mode real quick when he heard that fighting. I couldn't get that bird to move for I bet five minutes. He just stood there dead still looking in the direction or the sonds of fighting turkeys. Fortunately for me, he did start moving again and when he did, he was ready to close the deal in a hurry and get the heck out of there. ....and that's exactly what he did. After getting shot, he got out of there in a hurry while riding piggy back hung over my shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky Jake

Dad got goose egg. Son got nice jake. Sam {son} had to make a choice of a "iffy" shot on a longbeard or a good shot on this jake. He made the choice that I am proud of. Dropped it dead with 20ga Mossberg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of nice feathers for tying jigs and flys!!!!!!! Nice bird way to go kiddo!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Nice kills! I killed the same this year as I did last year.. 0

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great year.

Went to Oklahoma and got a whopper Rio with a twelve inch beard. My partner got two and then the rains came. I believe we had about 10 inches in the 4 days we tried to hunt. Came back to Illinois for the opener in the north. 1st day... never heard a peep. 2nd day had 7 hens and ole Tom come in to check out the full strut decoy. They looked at it for a minute and then Ole Tom couldn't take it and tried to bum rush the decoy... bully. Won't do that again.

Sad to be on the sidelines but that left more time to fish.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the kills, I have never made a hunt for turkey's. But I did have them scare the daylights out of me one morning when we went deer hunting at a reserve. I had set up a make shift ground blind about an hour and half before daylight. But what I didn't know was that I made it almost under their roost. When they started comming down, it was the loudest noise and it was still dark so I couldn't see what it was..... needless to say the hair was standing up on the back of my neck. Once day broke, I could see them walking all around where I was.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

yep i killed 2 had a good time and may have killed another but it didn't happen

Post Thanks / Like

Nice birds guys, Congrats
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

season closed today here in TN I was abeal to take 3 nice mature gobblers this year. The birds just didn't talk all that much around here this spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast