Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaverdam 4-18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaverdam 4-18

I spent the afternoon trolling around Beaverdam today. The crappie must be in the shallow timber because I only got one bite around their staging areas. I did not go prepared with all my short rods to chase them in the shallow timber. I did manage 6 green carp from 1.5 to 2 pounds and a small bluegill. I got those from around one of my favorite grass beds on the main lake. The coontail grass is growing nicely and should be holding post spawn crappie soon. The surface water temp was 62-65 and pretty clear.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    I spent the afternoon trolling around Beaverdam today. The crappie must be in the shallow timber because I only got one bite around their staging areas. I did not go prepared with all my short rods to chase them in the shallow timber. I did manage 6 green carp from 1.5 to 2 pounds and a small bluegill. I got those from around one of my favorite grass beds on the main lake. The coontail grass is growing nicely and should be holding post spawn crappie soon. The surface water temp was 62-65 and pretty clear.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the update. i'm headin out in the morning either B-dam or Chickahominy.
    Chick is 10 min. drive but haven't been to B-dam since last spring. Did good there
    caught lots of fish but on the small side. Don't know the name but fished a creek
    when you look dead ahead out of ramp go at 10 o'clock direction, pass fish
    attractor, is 1st creek from dam on opposite side of resevoir from ramp. or 1st
    creek on legal side of dam buoys anyway. water was clear and had a blast seeing
    fish come up hitting jig under slip float. sight-cast and let breeze push dinner by.

jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

The locals have names for some of the creeks, but I don't know what they are. I know the creek you are talking about. I did not fish that one at all last year. I did study it with my depth finder over the winter. It looks to be a good area to hold crappie during the summer. There will be some nice grass beds about 2/3 of the way back into the creek with deeper water near by that can be used as an escape route. The crappie are really attracted to this type of setup at Beaverdam.

Good luck and let us know how you do at either place.
    Keith

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Panman

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    The locals have names for some of the creeks, but I don't know what they are. I know the creek you are talking about. I did not fish that one at all last year. I did study it with my depth finder over the winter. It looks to be a good area to hold crappie during the summer. There will be some nice grass beds about 2/3 of the way back into the creek with deeper water near by that can be used as an escape route. The crappie are really attracted to this type of setup at Beaverdam.

Good luck and let us know how you do at either place.
    Have the Shellcrackers started down your way. If not , will you post when they do? Thanks
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Have the Shellcrackers started down your way. If not , will you post when they do? Thanks
    That was the first bluegill I caught this year. They should get going in May and June. I'll let you know when they get going. We are planning a shellcracker trip to Little Creek Reservoir the weekend of June 18-19. I recently saw the photos of the man that caught 25 citations in one day at Little Creek last year. You are welcome to join us.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, there better be enough "giants" to go around!
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Bill, there better be enough "giants" to go around!
    Hey, thats Keith's department.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hey, thats Keith's department.
    I'm going to put you on the water, you have to show us how to catch 'em. Aren't you leading the pack for this year at the moment with a 3 pound crappie?
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys, what's your biggest 'cracker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast