Long - but well worth the read.

Subject: An Aussie Speaks

Here is an Aussie's commentary on the US military in Iraq. A great
    read---even with a few typical GI terms

bo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gentlemen
    I am an Australian and my son is an Australian - as far as we are concerned
    there is not place on God's earth better than Australia, and there are no people
    better than Australians.

That was until the past week or so. My son is in the Australian Army
    and he is currently on deployment in Iraq. I cannot go into his duties in
    great depth, but shall we say that he and his fellow army buddies are on a
    glorified guard duty looking after the Australian Embassy. They don't go out looking
    for "action", though it is a different story in Afghanistan, there the Aussie troops
    chase the baddies over the hills and into the valleys..

My son and I just ended a long 'phone conversation and here are some
    of his comments, believe me this is what he said. We have all seen the
    bull**** emails written by some clown in his lounge room pretending to be at the coal
    face, but this is what was said.:

"Before I came over here I thought we (the Australian Army) were pretty
    **** hot..... was I ever wrong!....The Yanks (I hope you don't mind me using
    that word) are so professional from the top to the bottom that it is almost
    embarrassing to be in their company, and to call yourself a soldier....don't get
    me wrong, we are good at what we do but the Yanks are so much better.....they
    are complete at what they do, how they do it and their attitude is awesome....
    they don't complain they just get on with the job and they do it
    right.....I carry a Minimi (SAW) so I am not real worried about a confrontation
    but I tell you I feel safer just knowing that the US Army is close by....If we
    got into trouble I know that our boys would come running and we could
    deal with it but they would probably be passed by a load of Hummers. No
    questions asked, no glory sought, the Americans would just fight with us and for us
    because that is their nature, to protect those in need of protection.....

We use the American Mess so you could say that we are fed by the Americans.....they have
    every right to be pissed at that but they don't bitch about that. They just make us feel as
    welcome as possible....what gets to me is that the Yanks don't walk around with
    a "we are better than you attitude" and they could because they are,
    they treat us as equals and as brothers in arms. If nothing else, coming here
    has taught me that the Americans are a truly great Nation and a truly great bunch
    of people. .....Let's face it they don't HAVE to be here, they could stay in America
    and beat the **** out of anyone who threatened them, BUT THEY ARE HERE
    because they believe they should be here, and the Iraqis would be screwed if they
    weren't here.....When I come home, you and I we are going to the US, we will buy
    some bikes and we are going riding...."

The reason why I am sharing this with you is because I realize that you (as a
    nation) must get pretty pissed with all the criticism you receive by
    the so-called "know it alls" who are sitting at home - safe. The reality is that
    they are safe, just as I am, because of America. If the world went arse
    up tomorrow there is f**k all we (Australia) could do about it, but I know that the
    Americans would be there putting themselves on the line for others. That to me
    is the sign of greatness.

The most precious thing in my life is my son, I look at him and I thank God that
    I am fortunate enough to be able to spend time in his company. We laugh, we
    discuss, we argue, we dummy spit, we have the same blood. I am not happy that he
    is where he is but that is his duty. He joined the Army to protect and to defend,
    not to play games. I mightn't like it but I accept it. My reasons for
    not liking it are selfish and self centered. I felt assured that he would be
    safe because he is in a well trained army with an excellent record, BUT
    NOW, I feel a whole lot better knowing that he is with your sons, daughters,
    brothers and sisters.

Whilst he was growing up. I was always there to look after him, I would
    not let harm befall him and I would always put myself before him to protect him.
    I can't do that now. When it comes to looking after him now he and his mates will
    do the job, but also THANK GOD FOR AMERICA.

Gentlemen, I have rambled on for too long. but as I finish I say to you, as a
    foreigner and outsider, a nation is only a collection of its people and its
    attitude is the attitude of its people, collectively and as individuals. I am
    really glad you are here on this Earth and I respect you as a nation and as
    people. Stand up and feel proud because you deserve it, there is no one else
    who will do what America does without question. The next time someone howls you
    down, take some comfort in the fact that America is defending their right to act
    like an idiot.

Finally, thank you for looking after my son.
    Peter Turner
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of puts it in a proper perspective. Too bad all Americans refuse to represent like they did back in WW2. I personally think that ALL Americans should have to serve in some capacity or another at some point in their life, just to make us all aware of who, and what we are capable of.
    I find most politicians on both sides of the fence to be nothing more than power hungry, greedy bastages.
    I hope Mr. Turners Son makes it back to his home in one peice.
    God Bless America!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know that we are appreciated - means that there are thinking people in other countries. Mr. Turner is right on the mark about our military protecting prople's right to be idiots. I don't like war any more than anybody, but know that there are times when it's a necessary evil. The Radical Muslim Fundamentalists have taken it upon themselves to kill everyone that doesn't share their beliefs. They do not understand diplomacy, they do not follow any kind of civilized rules, they haven't heard of the Geneva Conventions. The only thing they understand is brute force. They see the anti-war protesters as a huge achilles heel in US society. It's a perceived weakness that gives them inspiration to continue the terrible things they do. Like you said Crappie Reaper, if ALL Americans "represented" like we did back in WW2, the terrorists would back off because they'd realize what they are up against. Like one of the Japanese said right after Pearl Harbor - I forget who, "We have awakened a sleeping giant". It would go a long way toward deterring the bad guys from messing with us if everyone stood behind our war efforts and presented that sleeping giant image instead of what we have today. The quote in this day and age would be more like "We have mobilized the protest movement".

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting- it is being checked out for truthfullness.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/turner.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, when your son gets home and you two are in America I pray you will come to Southeast Georgia. I would be honored to put you up for a few days. You are welcome to prop your feet up and rest a while. My treat!!!!

Please let your son kow we are praying for them too.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Sir for the kind words, God Bless America.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud to be associated with people like him.

God bless Him and America
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

From an old Career Military man I appreciate your kind words, it's not often that our guys get the attention you have given.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your post from way down under i was in your country in 1970 had a great time even the cops treaded me good they took me in to keep me from getting hurt??? nnever locked the door gave me stake and eggs in the moring and let me go!!! fishingpox going to make a post for me look for it if you make it to mid. st. in. look me up 75 ranger first air cav 100% DAV
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in Iceland and Italy as a civilian on U.S naval bases. That letter sums it up, the guys do what they have to do, no questions asked and all for us. I also feel the same way about U.S police and fireman as reflected back in 2001.