Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mutton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mutton

Anyone out there a mutton afficienado? Mutton falls in there with mt oysters, smelt, & liver. I crave it like a wildfire, thoroughly enjoy it to the last bite, & then dont wanna see it for about 6 mos. Although we had sheep on the farm, they were to graze down a small pasture in front of the house, we sheared & sold wool, but never ate any. I developed my taste for it after leavin home and have done a few chops at home but by far most has been eaten out at a restaurant. What cuts do any of you prefer, methods of cooking, recipes, etc...? I got the hankerin for some and want to do sumfin different here at home with it.
    I appreciate any comments/advice, thanks up front.
    Last edited by horseshoer; 12-25-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

We have an event not far from here that claims to be "the world's largest picnic" in August every year. They produce the finest bbq mutton that I have ever wrapped my lips around.

I'm pretty much like yourself. I love the stuff when I eat it but only want it about twice a year.

Post Thanks / Like

You might check Foodnetwork.com, I have had good luck there on several occassions...
    Gadget Man

Post Thanks / Like

Like you, we raised them for wool and keeping the grass trimed around the building,but never had a hankering for mutton burgers. May try it sometime.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Never had occasion to try it - is it a lot different than say, goat, or deer?
    I just figured it was all kinda the same, but it doesn't sound like it.

On second thought, that might have been what the shish-kebobs I used to get from the street
    vendors in Turkey was. I ate a bunch of 'em, but for all I know it may have been cat-dog-horse- don't think they have possum there :D
    Last edited by J White; 04-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have American Black Belly Barbado Sheep. These are strickley meat sheep. Vary good eating. The males have horns like our Mountain Bighorn sheep. People pay good money in Texas to hunt them for mounting on there walls. They are hair sheep so they don't have to be sheared. They shed there hair just like a Deer.

Last edited by Ken Jones; 05-21-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My six year old went "Muttin Bustin"at a local rodeo. It threw him off pretty quick. He told his nana it didnt hurt"well maybe a little when he stepped on my face"..haaaaa. I bet he would like to try eatin it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mutton, I haven't had mutton since I was a kid. Mom used to do mutton chops with a mustard coating. We ate it so much as kids I kinda got burned out on it but I would love to eat it again. I went to cooks.com and found a lot of mutton recipies, may have to go buy some mutton and eat it this weekend.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Baaaah,the more I chewed it the bigger it got.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Yup I think its time for a leg or some chops.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja