Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MotorGuide S#@ks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MotorGuide S#@ks

A few years ago when I saw the Pinpoint (owned by Motorguide/Mercury) trolling motors I just had to have one. As it turned out it was a piece of junk. It had limitations that they didn't tell you about and it had a lot of problems. There are only 3 places in the country that can work on them (at $80.00 a pop for postage). So I sent it back to Cabela's and I must say they were nice about taking it back as the 90 days were up.

Now enter MotorGuide's PTSV trolling motor. I needed something with autopilot type features but easier to deploy and get back up. I called Motor Guide and was assured this was all new technology and not the old Pinpoint. I asked about limitations and they told me what they were. I felt I could deal with that. They also assured me that any Motor Guide service shop can repair them should the need arise. So I got one.

As I'm sure you can surmise by now, IT"S JUNK!!! The first day at the lake it work OK. The next day it wouldn't come on. Then all of a sudden, hours later, it decided to work. Yes, any Motor Guide service place can fix it. They send it to one of those 3 places to get it fixed. Meanwhile you are out of a trolling motor for 3-4 weeks.

It is now in the back of my truck and BPS will be getting it back early tomorrow morning. I guess I'll have to go back to the Minnkota autopilot and deal with their mount which I have problems with. I did email Minnkota and explained the problem I had and asked them why they couldn't put one on a regular pull the rope type. They said they would pass my idea on to their engineering department. So we will see.

Sorry to be so long. I just needed to express my fustrations.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

While we are talking Trolling Motors...

My brother just put a MinnKota on his boat and I tryed it out a little. It has a cable-less steering controller and the motor telescopes up and then kicks over onto the deck. He hates it (me too). Number 1- the foot pedal that rocks side to side to steer is too big and you have to re-position your foot to turn one way or the other. My anke just doesn't rock from side to side as well as it does front to back like the old foot pedals. Number 2- the store/deploy mechanism is the most un-user friendly thing I've seen. You have to kick the head of the trolling motor just to get the motor foot unwedged from its resting bracket. You have to step on a trigger to get the think back up then while you slide the motor up and kick it over- right to where you are standing. Number 3- the front of the motor sticks out over the bow and seems to want to play the part of a "bumper" when you are coasting into a tree. That is a recipe for a busted bracket.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll have to go back to the Minnkota autopilot and deal with their mount which I have problems with. I did email Minnkota and explained the problem I had and asked them why they couldn't put one on a regular pull the rope type. They said they would pass my idea on to their engineering department. So we will see. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have the same problem with the Minnkota. I have a difficult time getting back from the deployed position. I have solved that to some extent by not putting the shaft all the way down. I only put enough in the water to keep it from caviitating. The upper part then acts as a cantalever tp help pull it into the boat. I can step on the release lever and pull it up by the head. I fish from a bass boat and an eight rod tightline set up that did not intefer with the trolling motor was a trial and error task. I still do not like the foot control response of the Minnkota but for long linning or for maintaing a track when one has to leave the controls, priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

[QUOTE=TwainGang]While we are talking Trolling Motors...

2- the store/deploy mechanism is the most un-user friendly thing I've seen. You have to kick the head of the trolling motor just to get the motor foot unwedged from its resting bracket. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Put armour all on everything. Shaft, bracket, and foot. Spray it and rub it off, helps the deploy problem. The other problems; into each marriage a little rain must fall. At least it doesn't nag.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the bells and whistles. Get a transom mount and reverse it's head.
    I learned this from some famous tv fish guy. Motorguide last I knew was miles ahead of the other guys where it mattered last I knew. No other motor on my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

i just put a auto pilot on mind and love it,it has made a big differents in the way i can fish my jigs.i have no promblem with the motor guide accept the price.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a freind of mine that does trolling motor repair he said the digital Motor Guides were junk. He likes the mounts on Motor Guide and prefers them over Minn Kota except for the digital steering. He says Minn Kota is superior in digital steering but there have been some problems with the auto pilot on the bigger units with the 60" shafts. Said it had something to do with the weight of the motor.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    I talked to a freind of mine that does trolling motor repair he said the digital Motor Guides were junk. He likes the mounts on Motor Guide and prefers them over Minn Kota except for the digital steering. He says Minn Kota is superior in digital steering but there have been some problems with the auto pilot on the bigger units with the 60" shafts. Said it had something to do with the weight of the motor.
    Did he say if they got the problem fixed? I think I'm going to trade in in for a MinnKota 54", 80lb, PD,AP,US. I sold the one I had which was the same except I think it was 72lb. I never had any problems with it except almost falling overboard trying to get it in the water.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was just his observation and not a problem that Minn Kota had addressed or even recognized for that matter. He said he noticed it mostly on big open water boats that stripers guides and fishermen used. I assumed that would be the 80# thrust models. He said something about the compass on the auto pilot. It didn't concern me too much because I was interested in the 70# model and a shorter shaft.