Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie In Livewell Need Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie In Livewell Need Info

My livewess is the type that circulates water frome lake back through livewell, if you have to go to a weighin about 20 miles awaye from lake I have no circulation. And in hot weather the will die while fishing if i fish a big tournament and had the big stringer they would most likley be belly up before the weigh in. Can any one help me with this.???????????????????????????

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

You Might Try Putting Some Ice In Your Livewell--it Cools The Water. Also Try A Battery Areator--this Will Help With The Oxy. Problem. Good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default livewell solution!

I was having the same problem with my live well a while back. I purchased a attwood aerator (12$ at wal-mart) and mounted it on the outside of the livewell(through the livewell at the bottom ) then ran 2 areator nozzles on the inside of the livewell and used garden hose and hose clamps to run aerator to nozzles. This recirculates the water in the livewell. works great on really hot days and also provides current for the fish, depending on which way you point the nozzles. If you have too many fish in the livewell you will have to let out about half the water every 2hrs and refill to get rid of the fish waste, which is usually what kills them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a survivor water intake. They simply hook to the intake port for your livewell. As the boat travels water is forced to the livewell without turning on the pump. I am getting ready to order one, they can be found in cabelas catalog.

Taylor1

Post Thanks / Like

Install an aerator like the previous post said. Make sure your live well is full be fore you trailer even if you have to dip water in. Buy a bag of ice do not puncture the bag and put it in the live well, or freeze two or 3 gallon milk jugs of water before you leave home and keep them on ice all day for the same purpose. Also buy some Bait saver ( the blue stuff) and add that to the water when you trailer. If that doesn't keep them alive they are really getting stressed during the fishing day.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

You also should get a plug for the overflow. When I drive down the road, if I don't plug the overflow it runs out when I turn sometimes. Not enough water will definetely kill a good stringer.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you can do it purchase "Rejuvenade" which is an additive you add tot he water. It is a proactive livewell, holding and release tank formula. It is on the pricey side but is well worth the cost especially if you have a good catch.

I have seen it actually improve the condition of fish while in livewell.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

be careful putting a aerator inside your livewell it can heat up the water. try to mount it on the outside. keep alive makes a oxygenator that is made to float in you bait bucket and it puts oxygen in the water. Well just a hint, the floating one is cheaper than the one made for livewell it just has a foam float around it . buy one and take the float off and suction cup it to the bottom of your livewell works great. about 30 dollars at wal-mart. The areator on the outside of livewell is probably your cheapest and best solution. just change 1/2 water every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

bnwbassman is right. Definitely DO NOT use a recirculating pump that is submerged in the livewell. It WILL heat up the water, and this is the last thing you want. Ice and chemicals will help a lot too.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.