Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need reel advice PLEASE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need reel advice PLEASE

Ok guys thanks for the rod holder advice. Now that I have 10, 12, 16 foot rods I need to get some reels to go with them. Open face, bait casting, closed faced what do I do? I will be spider rigging in shallow resivors in the spring at depths of 4 foot or less and hope to try and do the same in the summer on clear water in depths of 20 feet. What do you guys reccomend?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Ok guys thanks for the rod holder advice. Now that I have 10, 12, 16 foot rods I need to get some reels to go with them. Open face, bait casting, closed faced what do I do? I will be spider rigging in shallow resivors in the spring at depths of 4 foot or less and hope to try and do the same in the summer on clear water in depths of 20 feet. What do you guys reccomend?
    I personally don't think you can beat Shimano reels. I use the Symetre 1000 front drag reels on all my poles. Shimano has come out with a smaller Symetre 750 that I want to try.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

whiplash Guest

Default reels

you can buy several models of cheap bait casters for around $20.00 ---the drag works smooth for letting out line --any amount you want ,no twisting or shooting off coils ---I have used 8 of them for 4 yrs. with good results

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to tightline only, I recommend small baitcasters. Whatever the budget will stand but light weght.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to buy the style reel to match the rods that you already have wither they be open face or spinning. You want to buy your rod and reels to match, when you buy them, and try to balance the system. The close face and bait caster will work on the same style of rod.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

You need to buy the style reels that match the Rods that you already have bought. Wither it be open face or bait caster reels. close faced or bait casters use the same style rod but open face uses a different style with larger guides. You should buy the rod and reels at the same time to balance the outfit.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first started using long crappie rods with reels I got the bait casting type crappie reels. I've since gotten rid of all of them and went to spinning type reels because I am much more comfortable using them. I've got several types including Shimano. Diawa, Quantum, and Wally Marshall. The only one I've had problem with is a BPS Mity Lite. I guess I shouldn't have stepped on it LOL. I've always been partial to Shimano because they seem to last forever. I haven't seen the 750 Don mentioned but will be checking it out. I have a Symetre 1000 that I really like!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Dang , and I was gonna suggest the Zebco T11 , but since no one else said they liked Zebco I guess I won't mention Zebco at all !! LMAO !!
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

For trolling I like bait casting reels. No line twisting or coiling like Whiplash mentioned above... but also they store much better. I love spinning reels but having to cram several in a rod box is a real pain when it's time to get them out and set up. Lots less problem with tangles and such with baitcasters.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and i use the zebco 11t reels. we started using them when we learned to vertical jig, they were comfortable to hold and well balanced for our 9-11 ft. rods.we are just starting to slow troll with these reels and have not had any problems yet.In deep water alot of people use up to 20 pound mainline and i see the advantage of using the baitcast style of reel.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker