Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking off boat stickers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking off boat stickers

I have some old block stickers I need to take off the side of my boat. Bought a heat gun. The block stickers seem real thin and dont even come close to comming off in one piece. Whatever I can scratch off with a fingernail is the speed the sticker comes off. Took me nearly 20 minutes for one block letter. Got 3 more to go.
    Any ideas to make this process go faster?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say try some harsh chemicals but it might ruin the finish of the boat.

Get some Windex or go to the paint section at Wally World and look for Goo Gone and a window scraper (the razor type, if you don't have one), it's about less than $5 all together...

The Goo Gone or Windex should get the sticky stuff off... scraping with a window scraper should make it easier on your fingernails.

OR use just use Windex and the scraper, spray it and scrape it at the same time.

This is what I use to take window tint off cars
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar will break down most adhesives.. Don't know if it will hurt your finish or not.. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

soak your sticker with warm soapy water and then use a razor knife blade scrapper, they will come right off with the glue.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

i scraped a stipe off of my truck with a heat gun and credit card. Rubbing alcohol will take off the excess glue
    Last edited by agrip; 04-13-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agrip View Post
    i scraped a stipe off of my truck with a heat gun and credit card. Rubbing alcohol will take off the excess glue
    This is what i do for a living and this is your best option! get the stickers really hot, and use a old credit card or 1 that u get in the mailthat says your name on it. Another option is the an eraser from 3-m its a rubber like wheel that you put in your drill. but it works on the friction principal (heat). pm me if you have any questions and ill give you my # so i can walk you thru the process.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Warm, hotair and peel. Any card will do.
    Next step? Saturate a paper towel in carb cleaner and rub-it-off.
    Rinse in cold water and a done deal.
    Mike

TeamAdcraft is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy View Post
    This is what i do for a living and this is your best option! get the stickers really hot, and use a old credit card or 1 that u get in the mailthat says your name on it. Another option is the an eraser from 3-m its a rubber like wheel that you put in your drill. but it works on the friction principal (heat). pm me if you have any questions and ill give you my # so i can walk you thru the process.
    Exactly. $19.99 heat gun at lowes. heat it up and remove..
    2X In-Fisherman Magazine Regional Crappie Anglers of the Year
    Official Provider of the Crappie.com State Decals

GO RAZORBACKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

dont scrap with or metal blade use credit card or plastic metal scratches

Post Thanks / Like

I used a metal 4" metal scrapper blade today to take my boat registration sticker off and my license plate yr sticker off with no problems. They all came off in one piece, with no scratches. I have an aluminum boat but will work the same on fiberglass as well. Just have to be careful.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast