Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fishing While Trolling Quick And Easy Technique To Catch Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crappie Fishing While Trolling Quick And Easy Technique To Catch Crappie

Trolling For Crappie – Quick And Easy!

The nice thing about having a boat is that you can troll to find the crappie schools. Some fisherman spend all day trolling weather they catch any crappie or not. I would like to show you a way to troll for crappie and actually catch fish. Once you start catching crappie stop your trolling and start having fun reeling in your catch.

Equipment you will need:

Boat

A trolling motor that will go as slow as physically possible.

Jigs that have a red head and a white or yellow body.

The jigs should have a variety of different weights. The weight of the jig will determine how deep you are trolling. You want to have a variety of crappie rigs trolling at the same time at a variety of different depths.
    This is called a shotgun effect.

Where to Start Trolling:
    Crappie love structure so you want to start trolling near rock points, know stump areas, know sunken wreak areas, Think of any where a crappie could hide as a predator and dart out and return after catching his prey. I would start by identifying area’s on a topographical map. This is a excellent way to create a game plan to start your fishing trip.

Initial trolling for crappie set up
    You can start your troll using live bait . Hook the minnow through the bottom and top of his mouth. (this will prevent the minnow from drowning) Use ½oz or 3/4oz weight on the end of the line.

Once you catch the first fish stop the boat!

Know the secret tip to identify exactly where that school is located.
    Use the crappie you just caught and use him as a scout fish to find that school of hungry crappie.

Step #1 Run a hook thru the back of the crappie make its not to deep so you don’t kill the crappie by mistake. The hook needs to be attached to about 10ft of line with a bobber on the other end of the line.

Step#2 Let your scout fish lead you to the main crappie school. Just follow the floating bobber.

Step#3 VERY IMPORTANT stay far enough behind your scout fish so you cannot be seen by the schooled crappie.

Step#4 When he gets back to his home and all his buddies in the school and probably his favorite structure area, cast your line into the area from a safe distance. (If you spook the fish you will have to start all over again in a different area.

Step#5 Keep fishing the general area until you fish it out. If you don’t have enough fish, start the trolling for crappie exercise all over again at a different spot.

Step#6 You would be surprised how many fishermen never do step 6 and it is probably one of the most important step for future fishing trips. Mark the spot on your topographical map . If you have a GPS enter the coordinates immediately so you do not forget. Remember you want to learn from every fishing trip.

Step#7 If you want to get real technical put a dot for every fish that was caught at this location. And if you want to get even more technical record the weather conditions .

Store this tip in your crappie fishing arsenal , then the next time you go out fishing you can plan your trip using this trolling for crappie fish technique. Make sure you check with your local department of natural resources before you use a scout fish to make sure it is legal in your state. GOOD FISHING AND GOOD LUCK!

Post Thanks / Like

Might work if it wasn't totally ILLEGAL here.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY View Post
    Might work if it wasn't totally ILLEGAL here.
    I don't know if it is illegal here in MO but I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard stories of people doing this many years ago with balloons instead of bobbers here in Kentucky. I didn't know if it was true or not. I've never seen it done.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well heck, I gotta say this. I cant keep it back. A "homing fish". This falls in the category of chain dragging. Just because it may be legal doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Doesn't everyone think we have enough devices to catch fishes??

Nothing personal, just my belief.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Tom ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Well heck, I gotta say this. I cant keep it back. A "homing fish". This falls in the category of chain dragging. Just because it may be legal doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Doesn't everyone think we have enough devices to catch fishes??
    Nothing personal, just my belief.
    Tom
    I understand where you're coming from, and where you stand ... but, this is an "oldtimers" trick :p that's been used for decades. It originated from fishermen that "didn't have" all the sophisticated technological gizmo's that are available nowadays. And a lot of them were probably fishing to feed the family ... not as a recreational sport, with the added bonus of good eats.

There's only one hitch to this "trick" (INHO) ... the fish, if injured, may do one of two things --- spook the other fish (by release of fear pheromones), or NOT go to the school, but go into hiding (alone).

Personally, I neither condone nor condemn the idea. I don't use it, either. :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

They actually wrote this up in an article in one of the outdoor magazines (OL or F&S) a year or two ago. If I remember, I think I started a thread about it on here after reading it.

My personal opinion is that for folks without electronics, it's not a terrible idea - a kinda "poor-mans fish-finder", but anyone that tries it needs to make sure it's legal in their state first.

When I first read about it, I considered trying it, but just like the electronics, it takes the "hunt" out of hunting crappie. I decided not to try it - but like crappiepappy said, if I were fishing strictly for food like folks did way-back-when... I wouldn't hesitate to use that little trick. Who knows, if food prices keep following gas prices, I may get to the point where fishing ends up feeding my family and knowing this little trick will come in handy

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is illegal in my state and not very sporting in my book. But, that is a personal opinion and everyone can do as they see fit if it is legal.
    Last edited by unknown 5; 04-14-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a small kid I watched my Dad and Uncle do the same thing and that is quite a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not condone that type of fish finding----takes all the fun out of it plus being ILLEGAL----just take a telephone and a net and catch em all----i am stopping before i say something
    Get the net!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast