Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: keeping minnows in a pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping minnows in a pond

Do any of you have a cage or something to hold minnows in a pond to keep them alive. I have a minnow tank at home I use now. I am looking to maybe buy a house with a pond and was wondering what kind of cage was available to keep minnows alive between fishing trips to the lake. I figured if I could keep them in a pond it would be easier than dealing with a tank. Thanks
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

You could make a live box! It wouldn't take much to do that, and I'm sure it would work GREAT! At least they did when I was young! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default live box

Whats a live box and whats it made of?
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

The ringer tub out of an old washing machine works pretty good. You'll need a lid on it though to keep the birds out. A trash can lid works.

If you make a live-box be sure and use stainless steel hardware cloth for the screen.

If your just keeping a few dozen in a floating minnow bucket or a 5-gallon bucket with a bunch of small holes drilled in it will do. When the pond warms up though you'll want to sink them to the bottom.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 04-11-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 55 gal plastic barrell, valve in the bottom,screen over it, sits in the garage, stays cool till july,In july august, I add a pop bottle full of Ice in the morning, the valve on the bottom makes it easy to change/add water, keeps my fishing buddy happy he fishes with minnows every time he goes, I smash a few pieces of dog food,and toss it in once every couple weeks, works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

A live box is made with a wooden frame with hardware cloth sides, top, & bottom. You make a doorway in the top so you have access, and you can keep your minnows or other small bait in there and put it in the pond when you have bait. If you make it bigger, you can put the fish you catch in one and wait till you have a mess before you clean them. Basically it is a box made of wire. :D