Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Early season baits/colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early season baits/colors

Today if the first time I have been out slab hunting & could only put fish in the box on minnows & I am a jig fishermen 90% of the time but could not get a jig bite going.. So my question is what color or style jig do you like to start out with when the water is cold & dirty ?
    PROUD BUCKEYE CARP ANGLER

Post Thanks / Like

how will you be fishing from the bank or boat?

i fish from bank a lot so what ill do is fish a brown or black marabou jig in dirty water below a float and play with depths and different types of cover i know when the water was colder this year i was catching nice fish close to the bank 8 inches below my float in a flooded area it seemed they were coming up and eating the worms and bugs the water was forcing out of the ground i was fishing in really thick weeds and fished the jig really slow hope this is of some kind of help
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

For me, water color is the biggest factor in what I choose. I usually go with lighter, brighter colors in stained or muddy water (white, chartreuse), and more natural colors in clear water (brown, green).

Problem is, crappie are very finicky. I usually end up changing colors a bunch of times until I find what they want on any given day. I use Fas-Snaps so changing jigs is as quick and painless as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you can never go wrong with black/chartreuse which I like to use on a roadrunner with a red head if casting.

If I'm vertical fishing I like the Wasshoppah and lately red/pearl has worked for me.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion