Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you fellows tie up or anchor

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you fellows tie up or anchor

At this stage in my crappie fishing career I tie up or anchor and fish. This is usually around timber or at night. I fish with bait 100% of the time but will soon start trying to catch them on jigs. Just curious.

Do you jig fisherman find yourselves anchoring or just trolling around?

Thanks
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bass fisherman at heart, so ancors are not my thing. falcon smitty got on me bout not having an ancor in the boat, so i put 2 in the boat last week. I have been out twice and havent used them yet. When he made that comment we really did need the ancor. The wind was pushing us up on the fish. You should have one. It took 10mph off my top end.

Post Thanks / Like

Ifish both ways. If I have my dad with me I usually anchor because he finds it more enjoyable and easier for him to relax. If you want to get your feet wet using jigs....start out by using the some kind of presentation you already use with live bait. Just use a slip bobber and fish a jig or jig/minnow under it. This is a excellent way to get some slabs, especially if you have a little chop on the water.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

I do best fishing at night under lights. Next time I get on a good minnow bite I'm going to try to catch them on jigs or spoons at the same time. Once I learn how to catch them on jigs and what works I may quit using baits.
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Tie up when I can. If not I use anchors.

Post Thanks / Like

I do both. When the wind is up like it was here today, I'd probably drop both anchors and fish each good spot thouroughly before moving on to the next. Just can't forget to pick the anchors back up. Been there... Done that!
    If you are a veteran or active military, THANK YOU.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Dude ...

Quote Originally Posted by DHanis_Dude View Post
    I do best fishing at night under lights. Next time I get on a good minnow bite I'm going to try to catch them on jigs or spoons at the same time. Once I learn how to catch them on jigs and what works I may quit using baits.
    Never fished using an anchor ... always tied off to a tree stump/limb, when tightlining minnows. All other times & presentations, I'm using the trolling motor to maintain boat position (trolling with big motor excluded).

"Next time" ... try "Vertical Casting" with your jigs, when you've come across a spot with a "good minnow bite" ( http://crappie.com/index.php?option=...id=18&Itemid=2 )

IF you're going to "spoon feed'em" ... please report back on your methods and success. I have the Spoons, I just haven't had the opportunity to put them to much use. Got my own ideas about how to present them, but always interested in other ways ... proven by other users.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching those northern ice fisherman on youtube. Those guys are pretty good at catching crappie. Same ice fishing techniques should work down here in Texas. I'll let you know.
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

the man that got me started crappie fishing , always anchored. he said it was the most important thing he did, because he felt that to catch multiple crappie you had to present the bait the same everytime. if you were not anchored then the boat was always moving and this decreased your chances of catching more than 1 fish in the same place. i guess there may be some truth to it. i have caught lots of crappie duplicating the same cast. i normally just try to look to where i am casting and line up on something. then i stay in line using my trolling motor. it seems to work for me. i do wish i had electric anchors like my buddy had on his boat. if i did there are times i would use them.

Post Thanks / Like

If the wind is bad I use anchors around tree tops. I start w/ minnows under corks and if the bite is slow I pick up my jig rod and start casting, which usually means as soon as my hands are tied up a cork will go down. lol Sometimes they hit the jigs sometimes the minnows. There is probably a better way but thats what I do when I cant keep the boat where I want it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast