Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: skegguard?

Post Thanks / Like

Default skegguard?

Anyone ever put one of these on the skeg of their boat? If so, what is your opinion of them? Easy to install? Any drilling required? Does it block the drain hole on your lower unit? Etc..etc...

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tool
    Anyone ever put one of these on the skeg of their boat? If so, what is your opinion of them? Easy to install? Any drilling required? Does it block the drain hole on your lower unit? Etc..etc...

Thanks for any input.
    Tool The first summer I had my Fisher I took it to Georgian bay, Lake Huron and thirty minutes later broke half the skeg off on a big rock. I ordered a skegguard from cabala's and have had "0" trouble ever since. That was 9 years ago and it's still doing it's job.. It's a little longer than the original skeg so it does a better job of protecting the prop. But yes there are two holes that must be drilled in the old skeg root. The skegguard is then slipped over the old skeg ( or what's left of it) and through bolted with special stainless fasteners.... And it doesn't interfere with anything...
    In my opinion you'll like it.
    Good Luck&Good fishing
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tn_countryboy
    Tool The first summer I had my Fisher I took it to Georgian bay, Lake Huron and thirty minutes later broke half the skeg off on a big rock. I ordered a skegguard from cabala's and have had "0" trouble ever since. That was 9 years ago and it's still doing it's job.. It's a little longer than the original skeg so it does a better job of protecting the prop. But yes there are two holes that must be drilled in the old skeg root. The skegguard is then slipped over the old skeg ( or what's left of it) and through bolted with special stainless fasteners.... And it doesn't interfere with anything...
    In my opinion you'll like it.
    Good Luck&Good fishing
    Ed
    thanks for the reply. the same thing happened to me this past weekend. about a quarter of mine broke off. i think i'm going to order one. it doesn't look too complicated to install. two holes and that's it. i was just worried that it might cover the drain hole for the lower unit lube.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem. they work great. I have one on my old Merc 150.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va