Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing of the colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing of the colors

The jig fishermen. Fishing with plastics. (This won't apply to hair jigs)
    When you change colors, do you tend to change the plastic color keeping the same jig head. Or, do you stick with a favorite plastic and change the jighead color?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    When you change colors, do you tend to change the plastic color keeping the same jig head. Or, do you stick with a favorite plastic and change the jighead color?
    Same color heads year round....Red pearl 1/32 & 1/16
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm changing a plastic, then I'll just snip the line and put on a new head also
    Life is what you make of it...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Zig ...

that's an easy question for me .... since, currently, I use unpainted jigheads. These unpainted "weedless" jigheads, by Oldham's & P&S Custom Tackle, are my mainstay for fishing in heavy cover. I tend to choose my starting color, in plastics, based on past experiences at that particular body of water - depth of water being fished - water clarity - and current light conditions .... then change colors if - partner is catching on different color - bite is "tentative" - or after catching several fish from an area, and the bite slows.
    The times that I change jigheads are - when trolling, I may put on a heavier one, and/or a painted one to give a larger profile to the bait ... when casting, I may put on a heavier jighead during windy conditions (but, only if I need to get the bait deeper or make longer casts). And, there are those times, that I just "experiment" with colors & color combinations; to see if they produce any better, under the prevailing conditions, than the one I've been using (successfully or unsuccessfully). .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

I will change the head to match the plastic. If I were using a blue / chart. tail grub, I may go with either a chart or blue head depending on whether I wanted the lure two colors or contrasting two colors. It may make no diffence to the fish. It just makes fishing and catching more interesting to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use plain lead heads and leave it in tack when changing a skirt or body. I am most concerned about the size of the head. I may be wrong but in our dirty water down south I do not pay to much attention to head color. I get the head size to fit the conditions (wind, depth, etc) I find the most important thing for me is to be able to feel the jig at the end of a tight line. I need to feel the jig to detect a pick-up by the fish.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly just take the plastic body off and put a new one on.....then save the plastic for another jig-head if I go back to that color....less re-tying.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time it's far easier to just pull the old plastic tube off and put on a new tube of a different color. But at times I will tie on a new jig head and then put on a new color tube as well.

I fish with only two or three colored tubes. White with blue,silver and gold sparkles and a black head and chartruse tail squirmin squirt. I almost always will add a chartruse Berkley crappie nibble to the hood on all my jigs. And this year I have been tipping my jigs with a small 1" chub minnow to get better fish.

But the fish are in spawn mode now on the lake I fish as the water temp is in the mid sixtys now. Deg F. That's about 19 deg C. There is a thermocline right at 9 to 10 ft below the surface where the water temps plummets when I go from 10ft to 11 ft. In just that one foot drop the water temps goes from 19.3 to 16 deg C. That is a huge drop in temp. The water stays the same temp from the surface to 1 ft. From 1ft to 2ft there is no change in temp. From 2 to 3 ft there is a 1/10 of the deg C change in water temp. This happened all the way down to about 10ft and then there is a drop of at least 3 deg C which is a big drop. My cord only goes down to 25ft so I didn't take anymore vertical profile temp measurements of the lakes water. Once I located the thermocline I knew what all the fish on my depth sounders view were hanging right at 10ft down from the surface and not any deeper. There were a few fish below ten feet but those must be old catfish. LOL . I caught all my crappie in less then 10ft of water. Most were up in the very shallow water and water less than 6 ft deep. This water is stained but not so stained at this time of the year. It's pretty clear and 6 ft would easily be a good spawning depth for this lakes water clarity. Plus there are lots of brush that are flooded at that depth with the tops just under the surface. So those bushs or small scrub trees are about 6 ft tall and are completely flooded now.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, please tell me more about your temp guage. What brand is it? Who sells them? And what do they cost?

Thanks

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

ZIG--I USUALLY USE UNPAINTED HEADS [alot less expensive],SO I JUST CHANGE THE PLASTIC.THE TIMES WHEN THEIR SUPER PICKY I MATCH THE HEAD TO THE BODY. GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast