Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your catch fresh

shayniferd Guest

Default Keeping your catch fresh

What do you guys do to keep your catch fresh?
    I know a livewell is the way to go, but what if you don't have a livewell and plan on fishing all day. A stringer would keep them alive, but would it work all day?
    Would it be acceptable to take a cooler full of ice and throw your fish in there?
    Would you have to bleed them before you threw them in, or could you just toss them in there?
    I know this is probably a "rookie" question, but I haven't been fishing in years.
    Thanks
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

A stringer will work, a basket is better, and ice is acceptable and will make easier to fillet your catch
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

when i plan on keeping eating fish i always get ice and put it in a bucket or cooler and keep the fish in it

if i think im gonna be walking a little i have a cooler thats made of some sort of fabric on the outside i got a wally world and it has a shoulder strap it makes it easier carrying fish and with a little water its even good to keep minnows in
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

I've never "bleed" or "gilled" w/e you perfer calling it.I've just used a stringer or ice in cooler methods myself & what few I keep to eat always seemed to be just fine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ice

Post Thanks / Like

If the weather is warm I would use Ice and dont stack to many on top of each other without puting ice between them. you can allways bleed them right before you clean them. The only fish I bleed right away are some oily saltwater species like bluefish,tuna and wahoo. It definatley makes a differance on those fish. In fisherman has a good dvd called "careing for the catch" that im my opinion is worth the $12. he talkes about bleeding fish in the dvd.

Post Thanks / Like

Put them on ice and you'll be fine. Just make sure the lid of your coolor is insulated and not thin. For the really hot months take some 2 litre bottles of soda and freeze them, then put your ice on top of that.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If I am keeping fish I will rarely use my livewells. I prefer to ice them down right when I catch them, I think it makes them firmer and easier to fillet. This also makes them easier to count.

shayniferd Guest

Thanks for the help.
    I always hated to try to fillet a flopping fish, so I'll probably use ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Ice is by far the best way to keep your catch. A livewell is easier though and usually works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast