Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another new world record crappie... and a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default another new world record crappie... and a question

Took my son and his buddy fishing this weekend and here's one of the whoppers they managed to catch:

Meanwhile, I was aiming for slightly larger fish...

Now here's the funny part... The kids were catching these micro-crappie in side pools along a steelhead stream (like maybe 50' from where I got the steelie). This is a "creek" that is maybe 40' wide at it's widest point, the deepest holes are no more than maybe 5 or 6 feet deep, and has lots of rapids and riffles downstream from where we were fishing. It's running at spring-flow levels, ripping along pretty fast.

Anyone have any idea just what the heck these crappie were doing up this creek (without a paddle)? I mean ice-out on the small lakes around here was last week. I'm baffled!
    Last edited by joejv4; 04-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the smallest crappie I've ever seen. Kinda neat.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    I think that's the smallest crappie I've ever seen. Kinda neat.
    The boys got 5 of them like that. I'm still trying to figure out what they were doing there - that was probably the absolute last place on earth I would expect to find crappie of any size. I mean, this creek got so low in the fall, that you'd be hard pressed to catch a crawfish in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope someone can tell me why we would find crappie in a spot like this. Hoping to learn something new about our speckled little friends.

Just so folks can get an idea of the type of water, I'm attaching a google earth kmz... the resolution of the photo barely even shows that there is water there. If you've got the topo map overlay, it will give you a better idea. Main point is that this isn't a creek channel in a lake, this is a small creek that flows into Lake Ontario. Don't know what the water temp was, but the air temp was 38 and there is still snow melting off.

So, if anybody can fill us in on why there are crappie in there, I think we'll all learn something new.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about upstate NY, but in N. Texas all our creeks have crappie in them all year...in other words, the crappie are resident crappie, and I would expect that your crappie are the same. Yes, some crappie move from lakes to creeks to spawn (certainly not all), but there are crappie in creeks that live and die, and never see the lake that the creek runs in to. So my call is that you have a resident population of crappie in that creek.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

:DThat's a great catch. :D:D:D What bait did it hit on? My grandchildren will be thrilled to catch a "world record" (to them) like that one.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    :DThat's a great catch. :D:D:D What bait did it hit on? My grandchildren will be thrilled to catch a "world record" (to them) like that one.
    actually.... the boys got tired of pulling their lines out of the trees overhead, and they started looking in the little side pools from where the water had come down a little and found these little guys pretty much land-locked. no tackle required, they were scooping them up by hand. All were released into the creek.

The slightly larger fish I caught, hit a yellow egg sack drifted along a current seam between the main current and a large eddy.

I still can't picture those little fellers hanging out in that creek year round. Once we get done with snow melt and spring rains, that creek shrinks down to not much more than a drainage ditch, but who knows, those fish might be a couple years old and just stunted from living in tiny water. I guess we learn something new every day!

Post Thanks / Like

lots of them like that in these parts.. creeks are loaded with stunted little crappies year round.. there are also some nice slabs in a few of the holes but there really are a lot of little ones in all year... we have caught them in january and february in the creeks and small rivers if they have not froze up
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe,

75 degrees here today. Tomorrow I'll go up by the new BPS in Leeds and scout around. Of course my rods will be in the truck.

Those little fish were on the scout team. The varsity is suiting up.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the spot?

I have several small creeks locally in the strangest places with crappie in them. There are lots of ways for fish to get transplanted, but from the looks of that one they just moved in from Ontario. No big deal really. If I were you I'd look in some of the bigger pools for nicer ones. In my experience creeks can hold some really nice fish.

I caught a sweet 9.5 lb steelie today in the Barcelona harbor. It was one of the prettiest steelies I've caught in a long time. Very high body which gave it huge sides with a perfect bright silver color. Perfect fish. Wish I had my camera with me.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast