Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What pitch prop do I need

bigben Guest

Default What pitch prop do I need

I need some help folks I'm going to get another prop for my motor and i havent a clue what i need.The motor is a 40 hp mariner magnum on a 16 ft pontoon boat.Me and the wife only use it to fish off of.So i guess the best gas mileage and being able to ease around is about the only criteria.hope you can help because i aint got a clue what pitch to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a hard question to answer. Are you asking what pitch? Or you asking "aluminum or stainless"? If it's pitch, you'd want one to keep your engine rpm's in the optimum operating range, which should be between 5300 and 5600 rpm at full throttle. Too much pitch would lug your engine down and not develop 40 hp. Not enough pitch would cause you to go over the power curve and lose hp. You'd need a tachometer to find out which prop works best for you. As far as what kind of prop, I'd go with a stainless any day over aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you just wanting a spare prop, or do you want to improve performance?If you just need a spare take the one you already have off the motor, or drive the boat to a mechanic or prop shop etc. Buy same pitch prop you already have. I have no idea how to improve performance on a pontoon, but a tach will be essential to find the right prop if you are wanting to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Check this website out. It worked for me when I was in a similar situation.

http://www.boat-props.com/propellers/s?search=Outboard&manufacturer=Mercury&horsepower= &year=&rotation=Both&x=113&y=9/?dz=14978&kcid=mercury%20marine%20props|999974299