Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: drift sock question

Post Thanks / Like

Default drift sock question

just bought two drift socks, I've never used them before, how far behind the boat do you drag them? I imagine there is a lot of force on the rope also, what size rope it best?............thanks in advance
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3/8" nylon on mine.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

You do'nt always have to use the sock "behind " the boat although that works very well depending on the situation. You can put the sock out amidships and use the t. motor to scissor back and forth along a ledge for example. Don't be afraid to try the sock from different tieoffs on the boat. You can steer some, with the big motor as a rudder. Have fun and play around with it some. It is a great tool . !0' to 20' back is usually plenty as long as the sock is expanded it is doing it's job.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought mine a few years back to mainly use when I go to Reelfoot. I just went ahead and bought one of the packaged lines made especially for socks that they sell at BPS with the float and it works well. The float holds the sock near the top and keeps it from tangling on the stumps, logs etc. I have tied it to several different locations on the boat depending on the situation. For example, when I'm spider rigging I will connect to the back and troll with the wind to keep from tangling the lines.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually like to keep it as close as practical...as long as its open it usually is doin its job. And I would also take plantdr's advice and try one in front one in back. then use trolling motor to "steer" yourself where you need to be . and dont forget the big motor up or down and turned in what direction makes a diff. usually you want it down to create more drag.
    Duane