Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Creek/river crappie (opposed to lake)

tommcfurgle Guest

Default Creek/river crappie (opposed to lake)

Question from a crappie newby: I have read and heard about lots of crappie being taken on lakes and reserviors. But what about creeks and rivers? Are crappie even found in creeks? Is it a natural habitat for the species? Of course, I'm not asking about creeks that flow into or "feed" a major lake - I understand that in this situation, the crappie living in the lake might tend to migrate up into the more shallow tributaries during spawning activities. I'm refering to creeks that don't directly flow into a major lake. Crappie to be found here? Would the fishing techniques be any different? (I'm guessing not). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Good fishin'
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

we catch lot's of crappie on the creek's here in MO. mostly arroun big tree snag's laying or bunting out into the creek,arround rocky areas, deep holes, any where there is slack water, old bridges,culvert's any thing that breaks up the water flow will work ,,, use bobber/minnow or jig combo try a 1/32 oz jig,dark color if the trees shade the water green/white work well in clear pool,s good luck

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

a friend of mine lived near Cane Creek near Monroe, NC. There was a little creek that ran behind his house..that ran off a large creek directly out of Cane Creek. He had a place he fished on that creek that he wore the crappie out on. I guess a creek would be as good a place as any when the crappie are moving upstream.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish river crappie all the time and love it. They can be found in the backwaters and coves early in the year and again late in the year and thru the winter. They will move into holes in these coves and backwaters where the current isn't flowing. Out in the main river I find them on wood and behind weed pockets. :D
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

River and creek fishing is all that I do. It is a little bit different because the crappie here are used to the water always moving , rising and falling because of the locks and dams. They seem to bite better in these situations on the river quicker than they do on lake. ( one man's opinion)