Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nelsonville/Athens area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nelsonville/Athens area

Going to visit the Nelsonville/Athens area on business in a few weeks.

Don't know a thing about the area and have had some difficulty finding out about the fishing there.

Can anyone tell me about the fishing in that neck of the woods.

Thanks!
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what I could find

I found a couple of small lakes in my book, but I've never gone fishing over there. It's the prettiest part of the state, though, and has some great hiking in the Hocking Hills
    You've got Lake Snowden just SW of Athens, which is listed as 131 acres w/ 6hp limit. It has a notch limit on bass, is stocked with channel cats and has some saugeyes left from a stocking a few years ago. No mention of crappie.

To the NW, up in Hocking Hills, you have Burr Oak Lake, which is 664 acres w/ 10 hp limit. It's got it all in the way of fish: large and smallmouth bass, channel cats, saugeye, crappie and gills.They suggest fishing near the dam.

Wish I could offer first hand advice, but that's a hard drive from where we are and don't get over in that area like we used to. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Hi Roberta -

Thanks for the info. Yeah I checked out the area on the internet but couldn't find out much info about fishing. I guess the Hocking river is nearby but most of the lakes I see are pretty small with very small hp ratings for boats. That's not a bad thing really. Keeps the bass boats from washing you ashore.

The people I'm visiting no absolulty nothing about fishing or where to fish. So they're no help. I may have to hang out there for a couple of weeks. Can't feature NOT fishing for 2 weeks. I'll begin to get the shakes.

Thanks again
    Hoot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's a phone number

I can't find any contact info for Snowden, but Burr Oak is a state park. The park office number (assuming it's current) is 470-767-3570
    The two lakes we fish most often are also small. I love it since we have a small boat. Except for the sailboats, we really don't have to worry about being run over or swamped

Out of state license is $40.00 annual; $19 for a three day (which can be upgraded.).

Burr Oak and Snowden both have notch limits on bass, with none taken between 12 and 15 inches. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

howdy hoot;
    see my post about lk. snowden just a few down. the lake was bought by Hocking Tech. College about 4 years ago but, still open to the publik. got camp sites and the small village of Albany not more tha 1 mi. away. Burr oak is about 3/4 to 1 hr. drive from here. oh yea, hp. on snowden is unlimited with a no wake zone that extends over the entire lake (read IDLE ONLY). whis they'd do with the rest of these 10hp. lakes. least then i'd need only one boat. Lake Logan is 20 miles west on st rt. 33 from Nelsonville. good fishing allround. Dow Lake is right here near Athens. Then there is the Hocking River. Good smallmouth water. only allowed to keep one 15" and over perday. That's about it . tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarfu
    howdy hoot;
    see my post about lk. snowden just a few down. the lake was bought by Hocking Tech. College about 4 years ago but, still open to the publik. got camp sites and the small village of Albany not more tha 1 mi. away. Burr oak is about 3/4 to 1 hr. drive from here. oh yea, hp. on snowden is unlimited with a no wake zone that extends over the entire lake (read IDLE ONLY). whis they'd do with the rest of these 10hp. lakes. least then i'd need only one boat. Lake Logan is 20 miles west on st rt. 33 from Nelsonville. good fishing allround. Dow Lake is right here near Athens. Then there is the Hocking River. Good smallmouth water. only allowed to keep one 15" and over perday. That's about it . tarfu
    Great info. Thanks. Any crappie fishing in the Hocking?

Tks
    Hoot

Post Thanks / Like

howdy hoot; haven't heard, hanen'ttried it yet. water stays cool enough for smallies year round though. are you going to be bank fishing? or are you pulling a boat with you?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tarfu; Thanks again for the info. I may get out on a boat but most likely will bank fish by myself.

Sounds like most of the lakes that are close to the Nelsonville or Athen's area are small. The Hocking river sounds interesting though. Is this a fairly good size river?

Also curious where the largest body of water is to these two areas. Got word yesterday for me to consider moving to Athens.

Never been to this area and don't have a clue about it. Checked out some stuff on the interent, Athens sounds like a nice town with the University there.

But.....fishing. I'm used to unlimited amounts of water to fish and good crappie water. Just curious what I'm in for.

Thanks!
    Hoot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Hey Tarfu; Thanks again for the info. I may get out on a boat but most likely will bank fish by myself.

Sounds like most of the lakes that are close to the Nelsonville or Athen's area are small. The Hocking river sounds interesting though. Is this a fairly good size river?

Also curious where the largest body of water is to these two areas. Got word yesterday for me to consider moving to Athens.

Never been to this area and don't have a clue about it. Checked out some stuff on the interent, Athens sounds like a nice town with the University there.

But.....fishing. I'm used to unlimited amounts of water to fish and good crappie water. Just curious what I'm in for.

Thanks!
    Hoot

howdy hoot; you can call oh. dnr dist. 4 hq. it's in athens, oh number is
    740-594-2211, that's for div. of wildlife. they can answer all your questions and send you some FREE MAPS of some of the lakes around here. you should ask for Burr oak, lake rupert, lake snowden, fox lake, forked run, lake hope. there are more but i think they will only give out 4 at one time. they also have a good website; www.ohiodnr.com. good info. there. have a good day

tarfu