Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Prop Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop Questions

I Traded Boats This Fall And My New Boat Has A Stainles Prop.( 70 Hp.) I Have Been Told To Always Run A Alum. Prop In Stump Fields, (fear Of Tearing Up Lower Unit) Right Or Wrong? Any Way I Went To Prop Doctor And Was Going To Trade My Stainles For Alum. They Ask Me Why Anyone Would Do That, I Told Him And He Said I Was Right, Only They Did Not Have The Alum. Prop I Needed. Left There And Went To The Biggest Boat Dealer Around, Told Them The Same Story, They Said I Was Wrong. They Said If I Bent The Alum. Prop And Ran It At High Speed The Vibration Would Be Hard On The Motor Plus The Lower Unit. I Fish The Foot And You All Know It Is Full Of Stumps. I Know Every One Has Different Opinion, But Maybe A Could Get A Few Goooooood Ones Here! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. The "Slip Hub" in a stainless steel prop is supposed to reduce the risk of damage to your lower unit if your prop strikes a solid object. If you hit something at high speed you do have slightly less risk of damage to the lower unit if you're using a alloy prop, which will absorb a little bit more of the impact AND be damaged a lot more than a stainless prop under the same circumstances. If your prop strikes a stump at low RPMS there isn't much risk of damage to your lower unit with either type.

You definitely don't want to run your motor at high speeds very long with a damaged prop but idling back to the boat ramp isn't going to cause any damage.

A stainless prop is more efficient than an alloy prop and if you're careful and go slow around stumps you shouldn't hit anything hard enough to hurt your lower unit. But it doesn't take much of a bump to damage an alloy prop to the point you'll have to get it repaired. Stainless props are generally more expensive to have repaired but much less likely to need repair.

I've had both and I'm using a SS prop now.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 04-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish stump fields, get an aluminum prop and keep the old one for a spare. If you damage the aluminum prop, put the old one back on and you can still go fishing while they repair the damaged one.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I say go with an aluminum prop unless youre worried about performance. . . . and it isnt hardly going to make a difference on a 70. I can tell you, an aluminum prop is a heck of a lot cheaper than a propshaft or gears. If you do bend it, buy a new one. My buddy just hit some rocks with his 70 yamaha. he had a s.s. prop. bent the shaft and messed up something else. . .. anyway, 1500 dollars later. . . . . . . .see where im going with this? My 2 cents, anyway. . . . yall take care.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you already have the stainless prop. I say leave it on there. You won't have to worry about dinging it up or bending the blades as much as an aluminum one, and I doubt the lower unit protection factor would be worth switching.

Post Thanks / Like

mostly its personal preference,, bass fishermen like ss prop cause they dont flex at high speeds like alum does that way they can go faster,,, i have a 115 on a nitro with a ss prop i was hauling but cross the lake and hit something and only thing that happened was a little ding in the prop, like jerry said the slip part did its job,,,