Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Few Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Few Question

Just a few question that need clarified.
    1) When you say yellow and chartruse jigs, what does that mean? Is that the jighead color and tube bait color ...or...we talking about grub tails ...or...just talking the plactics?
    2) Does anybody use RoadRunners for jigging or under a float or are these used mostly casting and reeling?
    3) Does anybody add salt or glitter to Crappie Nibbles in a baitpump?
    4) Is Hot Pink really a good color for crappie? The recent magazines talk about pink more than chartruse anymore.
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    Herb

Post Thanks / Like

1. It depends on how "yellow and chartreuse jigs" is used. If I said it, I'd probably be talking about two different jig colors.
    2. You could jig with them, usually when I'm "jigging" I don't raise my rod tip more than a few inches. That wouldn't give them too much action, but you could put them under a float to contol their depth and retrieve them.
    3. I don't use a bait pump, but I don't see why you couldn't. Some already have glitter in them.
    4. Hot pink is a great color for me, from bream to redfish (saltwater). Electric Chicken, hot pink/white/hot pink, ect. Often I'll be throwing a hot pink bucktail in saltwater, and catch tons of different species on it.

Post Thanks / Like

All good questions. You'll likely get a ton of different answers, especially factoring in all the locations members fish.
    I'll answer your questions as they apply to me and the honey-holes I fish.

1) I fish tubes, but will be giving crappie beavers and crappie flappies a try this year. I use unpainted round jig-heads when I'm using 1/8 oz or 1/16, and tiny tube heads (the kind that go inside the tube) when I'm using 1/32 or 1/64 oz. When I talk color, I'm talking about the color of the plastic I'm using.
    2) Never used a roadrunner, but if I did it would be casting with a slow retrieve, possibly under a float if I were drift-fishing.
    3) Don't use the bait pump, but do use nibbles, as-is, straight from the jar. If you're pumping them inside a tube, glitter shouldn't make a difference, but salt might. couldn't hurt to try it.
    4) I started using hot pink last season and it was my 2nd best color, after chartreuse. I ended up buying a pack of crappie beavers because the local BPS didn't have tubes in hot pink/chartreuse combo, but they did have beavers - and figure using my number 1 and number 2 most productive colors together might be a good thing. I also managed to catch a 6lb green carp (LMB) on a hot pink crappie tube last year.

Those are how I can answer based on my experience and where I fish... Now let's sit back and get some more answers - and the best part... they'll all be good answers from this crew

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few question that need clarified.
    1) When you say yellow and chartruse jigs, what does that mean? Is that the jighead color and tube bait color ...or...we talking about grub tails ...or...just talking the plactics?
    I am refering to a multicolored tube or jig in most cases. I.E. Black and Chart. means a black head if you will on the tube and chart. rear portion.

2) Does anybody use RoadRunners for jigging or under a float or are these used mostly casting and reeling?
    Use them for mainly trolling/slow reeling.

3) Does anybody add salt or glitter to Crappie Nibbles in a baitpump?
    No...but don't think it could hurt.

4) Is Hot Pink really a good color for crappie? The recent magazines talk about pink more than chartruse anymore.
    Now the answer to this question depends on the water you are fishing. The water clarity/color/temp can effect what color works better. But pink and chart. both seem to work in a wide range of situations. I prefer chart and a buddy prefers pink. If you have confidence in a particular color/lure you will fish it "better" IMHO.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking OK, now if it were me ...

and I was saying "Yellow & Chartreuse jigs" ... I'd be referring to the color of the plastics I had on my jighead (since I fish with unpainted heads, mostly).
    But, it could also mean that I/we were catching them on two different colors ... yellow or chartreuse. It might depend on how the question being asked, was worded, too.

My RR's are never jigged or hung under a float ... they're either cast & retrieved, or trolled.

I rarely "add" anything to my baits ... with the rare exception being a minnow. I have Nibbles, just haven't used them, yet. Salt &/or glitter would be my choices to "spice up" a Nibble injected bait, were I to feel the need to use them.

I'm a firm believer in Pink, as a productive color. Alone or in combination with Chartreuse All it took was a trip to Barkley Lake, and three anglers limiting out for two days in a row, using Pink Roadrunners or Pink tube jigs ... and I was convinced :D (even solid chartreuse baits failed to be as productive and that was hard to believe, back then) Don't know why Pink is being touted, or pushed, so much now ... it's been a good color for decades :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Let me say this about Chartreuse. FL Yellow is commonly called the Yellow Chartreuse and the Green tint is called FL Chartreuse at most places that sell materials. Even the powder paint called it Yellow Chartreuse for the Yellow tint one.

Plane Yellow is a little darker shade.

I like to troll with my troll motor and use Roadrunners or other jigs as well. I usually just use a regular jig under a bobber. I don't cast all that much, but when I do I like a Roadrunner.

Yes hot pink is good for crappie. Actually in the chenille I use FL. Red for hot pink since Hot Pink has a slight purple tint to it. For the feathers though it's hot pink and called such.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Most use the road runners to cast and retrieve or troll but i also use them to vertical jig with. You dont have to move them very much to get the flash form the spinners and they seem to do pretty good that way.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thanks fellas