Thread: Underwater cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Question Underwater cameras

Are these things good in stained water,
    Or would a fishfinder give more info?
    Fin

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=404650

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in the boat with 2 diff-types of the under water cameras & you could not see very well with them. In stain water there is NO way I'd waste my money on them ,IMO..

Post Thanks / Like

It's been discussed a few times, I did a quick search and came up with these two past threads.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...erwater+camera

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...erwater+camera

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

$300.00! I would rather invest in a good depth finder myself. If the water was always clear I could see where it might help, but where I fish it always has some color to it. Just my opinion!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe for ice fishing, I'd consider one, but would rather a good depth-finder with GPS for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

i have been lucky enough to be around a couple of them. my fishing partner has one a nd my brother also. it seems to me that when we use them we spend more time plsaying with them camera than fishing. but it does let you know if fish are there or not. my fishing partner has always said you can always catch crappie. if they are there and you put a bait in front of them he said he will catch them. if he cant then there are not crappie there. i had to show him that this was not true. i took him to a dock we almost always catch fish from. we fished about 15 minutes, caught 1 9" fish looked with the camera and there were fish every where. he said if they are there i can catch them. we tried 5 or 10 more minutes. no bites. looked with the camera they were still there. we even dropped a jig down and jiggled it in front of them they just would not bite. but at least we knew there were fish there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an aquavu camera that I bought for ice fishing. It works ok in the lake I fish that is semi-stained. During the summer, you can see about 4-6 feet down. This winter, when fishing in about 16-17 fow, some days I could clearly see fish and other days I had trouble. I believe that the conditions of the ice effected the amount that you can see. If there is snow on the ice, the picture will be lower quality. Also, I found that towards dark, I had a hard time seeing fish.

One of the rivers I fish I couldn't see anything in 10 fow.

It's a great tool to have in addition to a fish finder/flasher. I found that I can save time by drilling holes and dropping the camera. If there is no fish, there is no point in fishing there so I can move to where I find the fish. It was also nice to see what kind of structure was on the bottom.

If I had to choose between a vexlar or camera, I would choose the vexlar. I don't think that the camera is a bad investment but it does have limitations.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the scout. In stained water I can only see about 1 foot . I have thought about adding some sort of extra light to see better and I think it would help alot I just haen't tried it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I fish in shallow lakes with lots of trees and stumps.
    what sort of side finder would work best?
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I fish in shallow lakes with lots of trees and stumps.
    what sort of side finder would work best?
    Fin
    Did you mean to ask "fish finder" instead of "side finder"? When talking side imaging there's only one product. (Hummingbird) For fish finders you have many choices all dependent on your budget.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast