Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need boat advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need boat advice

I just got a new 14-48 jon boat made by Tracker and think I might have under powered it. It has been raining every since I bought it so I have not put it in the water yet. I will be hauling about 600 pounds load. I am afraid it won't plane off and that will suck.
    I bought a new 4 stroke 15hp Mercury for it and should have got the 25hp I guess.
    Have any of you tried something close to this?

Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet that it will plane, but if you still can, go ahead and max it out on the horsepower. You won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same boat. I have a 4 stroke merc 25 and it's what you want.............If i had two guys in my boat and our gear, a 15 WOULD NOT plane off.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure exactly what "planing" speed is for these jon boats, but I'm pushing a 16-48 with a 10 hp 4-stroke (multiple hp restricted lakes around here) and can run 15-16.5 mph GPS speed. Not sure how much "load" I'm pushing, but I've installed lots of decking (3/4" PT plywood), 3 batteries and a trolling motor, plus me and my gear, so I'm probably close. Guess you'd do at least as good as me, probably better.

I used to have a heavy 16' aluminum Tracker type TX-17 boat with a 25hp and best I could get out of it was 23 mph.

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, don't sweat it!

These wide 14' boats plane well with motors in the 10-15 hp range. We have a 10 hp limit lake around here and boats like yours are common and they are cruising on plane all over...they plane at lower speeds. I have a 1452 PolarKraft with a 9.9...installed an aluminum floor, pedestals, trolling motor, battery, etc. and it DOES get on plane doing about 15-20 mph. I GPSed it at 21 or so with just me, with a partner and a bunch of duck hunting stuff, it did aboutj 17. Now when I put a trolling motor and went fishing, it did a little worse and I didn't GPS it but it got on plane, probably about 15 or so. Plenty fast and fuel efficient. Don't worry, at least until you get it out fully loaded and see what it will do. I expect you will be fine.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same boat with an older 25hp on it. It feels like it moves pretty quick.Looking for a 9.9 for the restricted lakes...Keep us posted on how you like it. I just got mine last year and I like it alot

Post Thanks / Like

At least you have a 4 stroke motor, that means more torque than a 2 stroke so you can push a heavier load. loss of speed, more power.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 1648 Alumacraft last summer. Same basic setup as the boat pictured above.
    Added a wood floor, seats, large aluminum livewell, aerators, carpet etc. Powered it with a 10hp merc 4 stroke (hp restrictions local lakes). It'll do about 20 with just me in the boat. (10 rods/ reels 3 tackle bags cooler etc.) 16-17 with two people. A lot depends on how much water I pump into the livewell.
    You should be fine.
    Do gooder since April 26, 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow I will get to find out for sure. It has rained and stormed for 7 straight days, which is how long I have had it.
    If I had known that buying a new boat would cure droughts, I would have bought it last year. :D

Post Thanks / Like

my buddy bought a 16/54 tracker 25 hp 4stroke it ran 25.5 on gps with me, 210lb and trolling motor, 2 batteries, 20 lbs of gear if you dont add plywood floor or a bunch of other stuff it will plane. Im guessing it will plane at about 10/12 mph.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast