Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to keep your motor straight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to keep your motor straight?

My boat is a 15' with a 25 tiller. If I step to one side, the boat will lean and the motor will turn to one side without me noticing untill I get on the TM and it'll fishtail as I move around. This drives me absolutely nuts!!! I can correct it by putting my weight on one side until it straightens, but it's a pain to interrupt the fishing.

So, how do you keep your motor from turning while you're fishing?

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    My boat is a 15' with a 25 tiller. If I step to one side, the boat will lean and the motor will turn to one side without me noticing untill I get on the TM and it'll fishtail as I move around. This drives me absolutely nuts!!! I can correct it by putting my weight on one side until it straightens, but it's a pain to interrupt the fishing.

So, how do you keep your motor from turning while you're fishing?

Wannabe...
    My Honda 20HP has a tension adjustment to make it easier, harder, impossible to turn the motor. That said, my 14ft Crestliner will turn in accordance with the weight shifts even with the motor tension locked down. Your are right, it drives you NUTS!
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't have a tension screw use a bungee cord and attach it to the back handles on your boat or you could use a 10 ft ego reach net which every crappie fisherman needs anyway and turn around and bump it if it just happens a couple of times while fishing this will save you from getting up out of your seat all the time.
    Last edited by Countrytime; 04-02-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Slap that son of a gun when you get in the boat to get it's attention. Also don't wash it as you know how that is. You wash it and then can't do a thing with it, LOL!

Just kidding, but never had that problem, but I do know that motor better be straight when you do get on the TM or it will make you crazy.

My old Pontoon use to make me nuts because of the wind when trolling and it is so easy to get your line in that prop and it turning will make a real problem. You had to make sure you line was out the side of the boat that then wind was blowing from.

Also you can trim it up as then the wind will blow the back end of your boat around like a flag or something.

Skip

PS that bungee idea sounds like a possible fix?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The guide I fished with addressed the line around the prop problem, put the motor in gear after shutting it off and no more line wrap. And I'm with ya on lifting the motor and blowing like a leaf. Not all of my motors have had a tension adjustment, but that would be the first stop. Bungi cords are a pest sometimes, but that might be your only option.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My 10hp Merc tiller has a tension adjustment bar that seems to be doing the trick at the moment. However, I have taken a rubber bungee strap and just kept it looped around the base of my seat where I run the tiller from. Real easy to just stretch that thing to the motor handle and lock her in place before getting up front. Also doubles for the trip home while towing so the engine won't jar loose on every turn.

-T9

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bungee cords are almost as good as duct tape.

Good idea. Now, if I can remember to do it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, Tension screw. Anybody know if a 97 Johson 25 would have one? Haven't looked it over close enough to remember. I figured the bungee cord would work, but was hoping there was something else out there that would be easy.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem, but it ain't the engine. It's my fat booty on one side ! If I don't touch the steering wheel, I'd drive in a circle. I have to hang a hard left to keep things straight!! I need to find a fat friend to help balance the ride out in the boat. If he's as fat as me we exceed the weight limit for the boat!!!! Maybe I should lose a few pounds :rolleyes: Or buy a bigger boat

Gave up on paddle boats years ago, can't keep them from running circles.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.