Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made floats with weights in the side??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home made floats with weights in the side??

There was a post/reply about someone on here making floats/bobbers that he put 3 small BB weights in it. I have made a few of these but I have some questions about it??

What do you use to hold line to float?? I can't remeber what he used.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please help!!

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one Fred, Thanks.

What else can I use other RC fuel line??? I don't have a hobby store within 80 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that will fit snugly around the shaft. small o-rings from the hardware store, plastic tubing from the hardware store, if all else fails, small rubber bands.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

http://crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php?t=19609

I made a couple of these floats and used plastic tubing. They work pretty good. I use 1/80 jig.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried some of the bobbers with the split shot in the side. I found I could accomplish the same thing by getting the stick-on strip weights that are used for neutral buoyancy on bass crankbaits and wrapping one of them around the upper part of the bobber shaft. It allows the bobber to lay flat on the surface but takes hardly no additional weight on the jig to make the bobber stand up. I found it easier for me than drilling holes in the body of the bobber.

I went to an auto parts store and got small tubing like is used for vacuum line. I cut it in 1/4 sections and it works fine.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've made a couple of those and I used a very small drill bit and drilled a hole in the shaft and made a slip bobber out of them. works for me.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

shipahoy41 is the guy with the cool photos of how to do it, I'd PM him and see if he'll send the photos to you.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to KCBH Quote: A old guy showed me this years ago and I have caught thousands of crappie with it. I am new here and this might be old news to you guys but I have never seen it used before.

You take a wooden bobber and drill three holes. One on the top and two across from each other on the bottom sides.(See picture) Then insert a "BB" size slip shot in each hole. If you use a smaller drill bit than the BB slip shot they will fit snug, but I use a larger bit and just cover them with a glue to seal them in.

Then you remove the spring clip that holds the line and buy some fuel line (From a hobby store that sell RC cars/planes.) Slide the rubber fuel line over the shaft, insert fishing line in the slot, then push fuel line up to hold it in place. Now you can adjust your line depth by just pulling more line away from the bobber.

Now here is the real key to this ... your jig head has to weight less than 1/64 oz. Because if you don't the bobber will stand up. If you use the correct weighted jig head the bobber will lay flat. Now all the crappie has to do it put as little as 1/64oz of pressure on the jig to make the bobber stand up. Keep your line snug and just give it a pop and it will set the hook. Now if you are fishing deep (5' to 6') you will have to raise you rod tip up as far as you can reach to set the hook.

I always use 2 lb to 4 lb line on a spinning reel with a 6' rod.

The weighted bobber will give you great casting distance, even in the wind.
    If you prefer casting, the jig-n-float technique is excellent for when crappie move shallow for their spawning run. Tie a jig a foot to four feet below the bobber; the depth that you fish depends upon how deep the crappie are. You want the jig to be a little shallower than the fish.
    Cast toward the shoreline and slowly reel in the float. You can twitch the float and then hesitate to make the jig jump a little and swing back under the float. If there is any wind, the waves will give the jig some action. Unquote
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    shipahoy41 is the guy with the cool photos of how to do it, I'd PM him and see if he'll send the photos to you.

This is the picture that I copied from the original thread.

I have also gotten balsa slip floats from my local bait shop and done the same thing. When you drill, DO NOT drill through the inner tube. It can be done if you take your time and go slowly.

I use my Dental floss for a float stop knot.

This works very well.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast