Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Glue On Aluminum Hull.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glue On Aluminum Hull.....

I have a question about adhesives. On sunday, the debris screen on the back of my boat came loose and fell off without me noticing it. I ordered a replacement screen to keep debris out of my livewell pump. The question I have is what type of glue/epoxy would best be used to attach it over my intake port for the livewell? It would be plastic on aluminum. I didn't know if any of you guys have had experience glueing things like this or not. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what type of plastic. Aluminum is aluminum but there are so many different types of plastics. What about a mechanical connection. Just buy some screen material that is rather stiff and cut it to make it into a shape that you can squeeze into the intake hole.

My live well works still and the opening to the live well has never had any time of screen device in it. I have used the same rule water pump for the last 25 years and it's still working like a charm. However it will not hurt to screen the intake. That will keep the zebra muscles out. Well the larvae will pass right though most screens so that's not really true.

My live well has a pvc pipe that is attached to the hose from the pump. The one end of the 1/2 diam pipe is attached to the flexible tubing and the other end of the pipe is capped off. There are five 1/16" od holes drilled into the side of the pipe for the water to squirt out and down into the livewell. That not only give new water to the live well but the water sprays onto the surface of the water in the livewell adding oxygen bubbles to the waters suface. Then there is an overflow drain that leads out the top side part of the livewell and to a hose that drains out the back of my boat. They use these plastic connections that screw together and then there is a big rubber type washer that fits between the two parts. These connectors are in five places on my boat. Two on the livewell and then there are three on the back transom of my boat. One is for the bilge pump, one for the live well overflow and one for the livewell intake. I have seen these connections sold at Bass Pro Shop in the Marine section.

Now for your question. Two part epoxy might work or if not then some two part JB Weld will surely work. I know that JB weld will work with Aluminum. And if you scratch up the surface of the plastic some the weld will be better as it will have some more surface area to adhear to the plastic. Some plastics are very slick and nothing will stick to them.. tefflon is a good example. All the chemical bonds are filled and the material is not only physically slick but it's material has all the other orbitals filled with electrons making it chemically inert as well.

Just make sure that you clean the plastic and the aluminum of all oils and grease and dirt etc. That will help ensure a better bond. Any oils will interfer with the glue bonding.. I would use Acetone or Hexane or some other light distilate. Even rubbing alchohol will work. Clean it good and let it dry before adding the Epoxy or the JB weld.

Only problem with JB weld is that it's a dark gray color and shows up well. The epoxy will dry clear and can't be seen as well. Both should be waterproof after they dry and cure.

I tried some glue that was said to be made specifically for plastics and it didn't work. But then again I can't tell what type of plastic I was trying to glue. That plastic glue may work on a different type of plastic. Which brings me back to beginning of my post. Depends on the type of plastic you are trying to glue things to.

Quote Originally Posted by tool
    I have a question about adhesives. On sunday, the debris screen on the back of my boat came loose and fell off without me noticing it. I ordered a replacement screen to keep debris out of my livewell pump. The question I have is what type of glue/epoxy would best be used to attach it over my intake port for the livewell? It would be plastic on aluminum. I didn't know if any of you guys have had experience glueing things like this or not. Thanks for any advice.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks moose

Thanks for the advise. I had my boat in the shop 2 times because the pump kept getting clogged so that added the screen. On the year model tracker i have the pump and the drain come in and out the same hole. I would like to make it a mechanical connection, but the intake is not threaded and knowing my luck, if i cut a screen just large enough to fit over the hole, it would end up getting sucked into the pump somehow and shorting the pump again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tool
    Thanks for the advise. I had my boat in the shop 2 times because the pump kept getting clogged so that added the screen. On the year model tracker i have the pump and the drain come in and out the same hole. I would like to make it a mechanical connection, but the intake is not threaded and knowing my luck, if i cut a screen just large enough to fit over the hole, it would end up getting sucked into the pump somehow and shorting the pump again.
    (Tool);; I took a 1/2 cpvc hot-n-cold cap, Drill about six 1/32 holes in it, I had to sand the outside down just a little bit slid right up in the hole. As for the glue part moos has that covered. LOL

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If its not that real slick plastic or whatever its called, marine goop will work. As a plus, you can remove it if need be. I put that goop right up there with duct tape. Its great stuff.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

yea that stuff will work good too. I may get some of that to help me stop a leak in the drain plug fitting of my live well. I tried using silicon but it won't stick to the plastic inside of the live well. Well it's storming out side so I am shutting down before i get hit by lightning

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    If its not that real slick plastic or whatever its called, marine goop will work. As a plus, you can remove it if need be. I put that goop right up there with duct tape. Its great stuff.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

You still don't have that damn live well fixed? Good Lord