Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rods

Last Sat. I was at the weigh in for the Southern Crappie tournament at Kerr and Took a peek at some of the competitor's boats and all of them were using long poles with guides and spinning reels.
    It's probably been said on here a bunch, but what specific brand and model do you think is best. This set-up is for multiple pole trolling.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Last Sat. I was at the weigh in for the Southern Crappie tournament at Kerr and Took a peek at some of the competitor's boats and all of them were using long poles with guides and spinning reels.
    It's probably been said on here a bunch, but what specific brand and model do you think is best. This set-up is for multiple pole trolling.
    Brad, if we can ever get together closer than a hundred yards, I'll show you mine. I've got a couple of each I think.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter

I got some Wally Marshall Signature Series rods and they are FANTASTIC, but they are pricey....however, you do truly get what you pay for. And for reels I like those Shimano Sidestabs....they are really good in my opinion.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pretty even mix of BnM and Wally Marshall's used by the Southern Crappie guys with a few Silstar's mixed in. Since there is a 16 pole limit each man can use eight poles. These lenghts vary depending on the boat set up but usually from 16 ft to 6 ft for out the back rods. Some guys are using 20 footers.
    The front guy may use 2 16 ft., 2 14 ft. 2 12 ft ans 2 10 ft. all on the side. The back guy may use the same rig or he may use 6 footers and 8 footers out the back with in addition to 10's and 12's. Sensitivity is not really an issue with pulling rods as the strick is mostly a reaction strike and the fish is automatically hooked. Backbone is important when a big striper or catfish wants a snack.
    Reels vary tremendously and depend on a persons budget. The drag needs to work so a rod don't snap when that striper hits. Some reels drags do not keep there setting. I personally use Mitchell 310X's which are a little large but I smallmouth fish some and I like them for my situation.
    I fish by my self and in southern crappie I use 12 rods all Wally Marshalls.
    2 16ft's are my lead rods, usually as down rods, 2 14's also as down rods. Then 2 each of 12, 10,8,5-1/2 are my long line rods.
    Last edited by whizkids; 04-12-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish in the front of my boat and I have (2) 14's, (2) 12's, (2) 10's and (2) 8's, and my partner in the back uses a range from 7's down to 5.5's......seems to work pretty well.....but, I will probably move up to some 16's in the front and take away the 8's eventually.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

does any one use the plain crappie pole (the ones without line guides)?

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk, that's all I use. 20's down to 12's. I use 8 out the back and four in front if I have some help. This works good for me if I'm dragging corks.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o