Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Academy Sports Battery policy

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Academy Sports Battery policy

Academy Sports Battery policy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guy's just wanted to let you know about the Academy Sports Battery policy I had a STOWAWAY DUAL PURPOSE MARINE BATTERY that had the warranty printed on the top of the battery. The store manager said they are not going to honor the 12 month free replacement and 24 month pro-rated at the store. You have to send it to the manufacturer to get it replaced. I asked him where that would be and he did not have a clue. My battery was 11 months old and would not hold a charge. After a heated discussion my battery was finally replaced by Academy Sports at the store. We fishermen that shop at Academy Sports need to let the company know that this practice is not acceptable to us. When we need our batteries replaced we need them replaced then!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Blacksheep; 04-05-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: the matter was resolved

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention that shipping would be pretty expensive with such a heavy item.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

To ship it Fedx or UPS you would have to have a hazardous permit as well.

Post Thanks / Like

One reason to get battery brands where the store has regular deliveries of the batteries- like Interstate or other brands that are Branded by an auto supply company. A general sports store isn't outfitted to handle these specialty items the way an auto parts store is.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up on that. You just helped me decide to never buy a battery from Academy. Am glad they finally took care of you. I would have made the big stupid scene.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look into the Wal-Mart batteries. I cant remeber the brandname (everstart I think), but they have a good warranty, and any Wal-Mart will honor it. So you can get it replaced nearly anywhere. And the batteries are pretty good to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

The wal-mart ones are maxx-29. They have an 18 month warranty. I have two of em on my boat and I'll never buy another one. I have one that's less than a year old and it only held half a charge. I took it back to walmart and they hooked it up to there battery tester and said sorry it shows 12 volts we can't replace it. Even after I told them it only held half a charge. Anyway long story short, I took it outside on the concrete and slammed it into the ground and busted it. Took it back again the next day and told em to test it now. Got a new battery but I noticed two more of the same batteries that other people had returned. $160 for two batteries and I expect em to last more than one season especially since I keep em hooked up to my onboard charger.
    Last edited by daltreypark; 04-01-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    1995 Skeeter ss90, Force 90hp, Motorguide Pro Series 5200, Lowrance 520c, Humminbird 565, Hi-Tek Rod Holders
    www.myspace.com/daltreypark

Post Thanks / Like

Buy an Interstate battery from a local dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daltreypark View Post
    The wal-mart ones are maxx-29. They have an 18 month warranty. I have two of em on my boat and I'll never buy another one. I have one that's less than a year old and it only held half a charge. I took it back to walmart and they hooked it up to there battery tester and said sorry it shows 12 volts we can't replace it. Even after I told them it only held half a charge. Anyway long story short, I took it outside on the concrete and slammed it into the ground and busted it. Took it back again the next day and told em to test it now. Got a new battery but I noticed two more of the same batteries that other people had returned. $160 for two batteries and I expect em to last more than one season especially since I keep em hooked up to my onboard charger.
    I had the same problem. I didn't have to go to quite that extream, but I had to bring in my own tester to show them it's bad.
    Also, WalMart wants you to leave the battery for 24 hours so They can try and charge it. Never again for me.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I can see your point. I know the guys in the local WM and they are pretty good about helping the locals out. I have been running this set of batteries for 3 years and have not had any problems. The only thing I have to watch is the water levels. I keep the batteries hooked up to an onboard charger and I have to add water about once every 3 months. Not much water, but just to keep it topped off. I have a couple of friends that are using the Optima batteries and they like them alot. In a past issue of Bass and Walleye boats they did a battery comparison and the Rolls batteries came out on top if I remember correctly. But they were also about $150 to $200 each.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast