Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: muddy water

Post Thanks / Like

Question muddy water

In the spring when the water is warming up but it is high and muddy from alot of rain how will it affect them in the spawn? And how do you fish it?
    Last edited by Bait Eating; 03-31-2008 at 07:02 AM.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Muddy water will warm more quickly than clear water so the fish may spawn a little earlier than usual. Also, because the muddy water filters out some of the sunlight, they may spawn in more shallow water than normal if the lake is normally clearer. Also in muddy water I like to add a little scent to my jig like a piece of minnow or a niblet.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ken ...and I also sometimes find that a little bit larger bait may help them key in on my offering.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Chart/Black Roadrunner with a hammered brass or copper blade. The vibration of the blade really helps them find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Slow down your presentation. The strike zone will be smaller than most years during the spawn, simply because they cannot see as far. Don't be mistaken though, they see further through the water than we see into the water. I always end up coming back to black/chart in muddy water. It just works. BTW, the only 2 clairities we have at my home lake in Oklahoma are "muddy" and "red clay with waves." So when I go to the lake I pray it's only "muddy." Heard someone this weekend say it was so thick you could walk on it! haha
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to thank you guys.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieken View Post
    Muddy water will warm more quickly than clear water so the fish may spawn a little earlier than usual. Also, because the muddy water filters out some of the sunlight, they may spawn in more shallow water than normal if the lake is normally clearer. Also in muddy water I like to add a little scent to my jig like a piece of minnow or a niblet.
    I agree with this except on my home lake (Talquin) . We always have a late spawn when the water is muddy! They will be shallower than usual, but the seem to wait longer. Our fish have just started their peak spawn and I have seen them spawn in Jan. The end of Feb or early Mar. is typical.