Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep fried crappie filets sure taste good

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep fried crappie filets sure taste good

Well my refrigerator is getting too full of crappie filet buckets so I decided to have some deep fried fresh crappie filets tonight. HUMMM They sure are good!

My front transducer is barely working now. It's actually (litterally) hanging by a few thin wires. The wiring where it plugs into my depth s0under is breakind. I can't replace this transducer as Humminbird no longer makes them. My humminbird LCR 8000 and the transom transducer still works fine but I need the trolling motor transducer to fish for crappie in deep brush piles effectively. If the few wires break and I can't repair the connector then it's time for a new depth sounder and another new trolling motor transducer.

I got so hungry tonight that I decided to get the deep frier out tonight and cook some fish. I only caught 6 fish this evening. They are about to spawn at Otter Pit. The eggs in the females are ripe. The two females that I caugth tonight were full of very rip eggs and they were only in 5 ft of water. I would say that it's time for them to spawn. I fished the deeper water today and didn't get a bit. There was another guy fishing my favorite prespawn spot and I say that he cleaned that spot out a bit. But most of the fish have gone into the shallower water now to spawn. The water temps in the shallows were in the upper 60's today.

Today was windy but hot. There were come clouds forming so it was about 50% cloud cover today. Air temp were in the mid 70s today and yesterday. Winds were at 20 mph out of the SSE today. I had to use 5 out of 5 setting on the Min-Kota 50 pound thrust all terrain to move against the wind.

I caught my fish in a small north bay in 4 to 6 ft of water from 5 pm to 6 pm. There is some deeper water within 100ft of the shallow water brush.

All in all it was a good day except for the damage that I did to my trolling motor mounted transducer plug in. It's almost shot but still working. When it dies I am going to have to spring for a new depth sounder. That Matrix 47 3D humminbird looks very good. Wish I could afford the sidescanning Humminbird units. Now with those baby's the fish would not have a chance. I could find a submarine with that baby.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-10-2005 at 10:44 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Deep fried crappie fillets. Sure sounds good. I think I'll fry up some tonight. Along with the 3 pound catfish I caught yesterday. I wished I had a bake fish recipe. Been trying to loose some weight. However, not deep frying fish is almost sacrilege. Good eating to you.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, Moose

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit....I don't believe I have had crappie any other way.....

There is another way to cook them other than deep-frying????
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cast iron skillet!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Cast iron skillet!
    Hmmmm.....interesting.....you still take them to the Crisco Ball with their tailor-made cornmeal coat though right??
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    Hmmmm.....interesting.....you still take them to the Crisco Ball with their tailor-made cornmeal coat though right??
    Yeah, but don't tell my heart doctor. It just seems sacrilegious to eat them any other way. My first mother in law, who lived in Willacoochee, Ga spoiled me that way.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Yeah, but don't tell my heart doctor. It just seems sacrilegious to eat them any other way. My first mother in law, who lived in Willacoochee, Ga spoiled me that way.
    Agreed....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I woke up this morning at 6 am sick. Seems that I drank one too many bloddy cesars last night while cooking and eating those crappie filets. After three trips to the bathroom this morning and 6 Big Heavy Duty TUMS I was able to get back to sleep. Didn't go to bed last night until well after 2 am. Got a phone call at 10 am and still was not awake. Still feeling woosy. Maybe it was the sandwitches I fixed and at yesterday afternoon while fishing or the first two crappie filets that I only cooked for 5 min instead of 7 min. I started waiting for the oil to heat back up to 375 Deg F after each filet was cooked. That takes about 5 to 6 minute with my little deep fryer. It has one heat setting and that is full blast but it's elements must be small as it takes a good 15 minute to heat the oil up to FISH temp 375 when it's filled with cranola oil to the line. Frydaddy is the name of my deep frier.

I love the taste of fried fish with melted butter put on them as soon as you get them out of the frying pan. Then add some lemon juice (freshly squeezed) and some salt an pepper. I use the Cajen Flour and Corm Meal mix this time and it's pretty good. I still like that KY Lake stuff that they used at the TeeZur Tournament. I am going to have to remember to email Weezer and ask him who that guy is again that sells that stuff. I met the gentleman at the first Teezer Tournament when Dave Summers was still with us. I just cant' remember the name of the product. But that is my fault as I am getting old and senile these days.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I like to take the crappie filets and season them with whatever favorite seasoning I feel like using, then frying them without any oil in a frying pan. Just use Pam cooking spray. Man they are good and still crunchy, but without all the oil that clogs your arteries!

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a more healthy way to fix them. I must have drank tons of that cannola oil when I ate those filets last night.

My parents alway fried the fish in a heavy cast iron skillet and they seem to be less greasy when cooked that way. I will have to ask my mom how she fried them and what she used for grease. Getting information on this stuff out of her is nearly impossilbe without a lot of probing questions. She does not give out details or explain how see does things. She has to show me instead. If I ask her were something is in her house she cant' tell me where it's located but has to show me. She has always been like that so it's not old age.

Now my X wife would be able to explain in detail just where everything was or how to get somewhere or how to do something. She was as detailed as me. I did like that in her.

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    I like to take the crappie filets and season them with whatever favorite seasoning I feel like using, then frying them without any oil in a frying pan. Just use Pam cooking spray. Man they are good and still crunchy, but without all the oil that clogs your arteries!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast