Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any electricians aboard?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any electricians aboard?

I have to have a new septic field installed and they require 2 circuits for the pump. The pumps calls for 12-2 wire and the alarm 14-2. I will be coming out of my breaker box, thru the attic, then out the eaves into a piece of conduit. Can I use just regular romex for this or should I use wire rated for outdoors use?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Just because you'll have it encased in conduit doesn't mean it will be completely out of any kind of moisture. I am not an electrician, but would think an outdoor line would be better. I bet Tom would know.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    I have to have a new septic field installed and they require 2 circuits for the pump. The pumps calls for 12-2 wire and the alarm 14-2. I will be coming out of my breaker box, thru the attic, then out the eaves into a piece of conduit. Can I use just regular romex for this or should I use wire rated for outdoors use?
    Check your local building codes Bill. NEC has non specific codes in this area. Also check on ground fault. New code requirements for outside stuff. I can't be specific because it is local codes that matter. I forgot a lot too.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I would use underground because it may build a little moisture. Plus its easier to do it once instead of twice.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's never worth taking a chance with electricity. I always use the direct burial wire whenever there's even a question as to which type to use. Like one of the posts above said--it's easier to do it once, than to have something happen and do it again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DTG View Post
    I would use underground because it may build a little moisture. Plus its easier to do it once instead of twice.
    Good point. Any outside wiring must be moisture resistant, even in conduit.

UF wire should do the trick, but again check the local codes. That is what counts.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll plan on using UF just to be safe and check the codes if I can find anyone to give me a straight answer. Have you ever tried reading the N E code book? Good Grief!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    I'll plan on using UF just to be safe and check the codes if I can find anyone to give me a straight answer. Have you ever tried reading the N E code book? Good Grief!!
    I get the local master electrician to tell me the code. I don't understand half that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes use the underground cable. I'm not a licensed elect. but I can wire a house. Anyway I have an electrician buddy who I rely on and when the dayum swimming pool came a couple of years ago I did my own wiring and ran it off a breaker box outside. He told me to use the underground cable.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill, for an application like that, if it calls for EMT or PVC, then you have to use it. Romex isn't designed for PVC or EMT. You'll probably end up buying some THHN and pulling through pipe. I do commercial work and my 1st instinct would be run pipe and pull it. Might run romex in the attic and tie it into a pull box mounted on a joist or truss, that leaves the pull box as pipe.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast