Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about MinnKota AutoPilot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about MinnKota AutoPilot

Hey there -

Since y'all have done such a fantastic job of trouble-shooting my trolling motor, I have one more question, this is related to my friends AutoPilot trolling motor?

Has anyone had to re-calibrate their compass on their AutoPilot yet?

By that I mean actually doing it yourself, instead of sending it off to MinnKota?

I heard it really isn't all that hard if you have the proper directions and a Ohm meter.....I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on this topic for me.

THANKS AGAIN -
    GABoy
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a couple of them and begining to wish I'd kept mine. Anyway. I've never heard of one having to be calibrated. I keep hoping they will come out with one on a regular mount. You know, the old grab the rope and put it up/down. I just have too much trouble physically with the mount they use now. Maybe I should E-mail them and chew them out for not looking out after us old farts. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've had a couple of them and begining to wish I'd kept mine. Anyway. I've never heard of one having to be calibrated. I keep hoping they will come out with one on a regular mount. You know, the old grab the rope and put it up/down. I just have too much trouble physically with the mount they use now. Maybe I should E-mail them and chew them out for not looking out after us old farts. LOL
    Ha ha!!! GET ON 'EM!!

Yeah, actually from what I hear it is fairly common...it is sort of like a little circuit board that plugs into the trolling motor which acts as the main compass of the AutoPilot....and there are two screws which are used to re-calibrate the compass...apparently you somehow hook it up to an Ohm meter and re-calibrate it that way.....not sure all the steps in between their though...hee hee
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    Ha ha!!! GET ON 'EM!!

Yeah, actually from what I hear it is fairly common...it is sort of like a little circuit board that plugs into the trolling motor which acts as the main compass of the AutoPilot....and there are two screws which are used to re-calibrate the compass...apparently you somehow hook it up to an Ohm meter and re-calibrate it that way.....not sure all the steps in between their though...hee hee
    You talked me into it. Its done. It will be interesting to see their reply. In the meantime, I've got a lot of Ohm meters and even more screwdrivers. Let me at it! Oh yeah, those silly little steps in between, Oh well, my intentions are good.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=GABoy]Hey there -

Since y'all have done such a fantastic job of trouble-shooting my trolling motor, I have one more question, this is related to my friends AutoPilot trolling motor?

Has anyone had to re-calibrate their compass on their AutoPilot yet?

By that I mean actually doing it yourself, instead of sending it off to MinnKota?

I heard it really isn't all that hard if you have the proper directions and a Ohm meter.....I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on this topic for me.

THANKS AGAIN - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have heard Marq Danque at the Crappie Hole can do that. I had trouble with mine turning intermittenly and Minn Kota replaced the complete board. It was under warranty. I would call Minn Kota and give them your serial number. Ask them if a new circuit board would fix the problem and also update your unit to the newer version, where the incrimential turns are less jerky and smoother. The new board upgraded my unit. I could immediatly tell the difference. It may be worth the money if your unit is out of warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You talked me into it. Its done. It will be interesting to see their reply. In the meantime, I've got a lot of Ohm meters and even more screwdrivers. Let me at it! Oh yeah, those silly little steps in between, Oh well, my intentions are good.
    Too funny...let me know what they say!!!

And....after you re-calibrate a few...give me a call...as long as you don't need a hammer I might let you at it.....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I just have too much trouble physically with the mount they use now. Maybe I should E-mail them and chew them out for not looking out after us old farts. LOL
    This old fart just got a new one, and I had trouble deploying, till I figured out an easy way of making it easier than the old pull rope. I walk up to it, and as I release the catch, I give it a good bump with my knee, and out it goes. :D