Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors For Clear Water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colors For Clear Water

What colors do you guys recommend for clear water. I'm thinking mostly of Panfish Assassins and Squirmin' Squirts tube tails. Also, I need to add some curly tails or triple ripple type things to my arsenal. Any recommendations of brands and colors. Again, mostly clear water. Going to BPS tomorrow.

Also, has anyone used the "Standard Trailer Dolly" that BPS has in the catalog? It has a handle, two double wheels & a ball for the trailer hitch. You hitch up the trailer to it & it's supposed to make moving the boat around a lot easier.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

As I posted a couple days ago......Khalins Blue n' Silver curly tail. You can't go wrong in clear water with this. It WILL catch crappie. Also the Tennessee Shad color works well in clear water. I've used it for over five years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue & white works great also!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those dollys work pretty good with a light boat. We used to move a 16ft alum Starcraft around with one. Still got it somewhere and don't need it. Too bad you are not closer.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

What he said --------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Khalins Blue n' Silver curly tail.
    Even the blue and silver skirts work good too.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite color for clear water (reletively shallow fishing) is red glitter pearl leg tubes, and white/pearl curly tails. I also like blue and white, pink and white, and blue with clear glitter leg tubes. It might just be the particular lake, but if the fish are hitting in the top 6 foot or so of the water column at any depth, the red/pearl leg tubes seem to out fish the rest. if Light penetration lessens (clouds or evening) and the red tails off, I switch to pink, then blue in succession.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water color

Water color and Weather. Depends on water color and how much sunlight. Lure color and presentation. High, clear skies and clear water dictate smaller lures. As water muddies larger lures. As water color increases,use more flurescent colors. Stained only see 1'-2' fish look for shape and color that is out of the norm. As water color clears go to lighter more natural, more translucent, more metal flake. As water color gets more stained, go to brighter colors such as whites, yellows and oranges. When you reach the point of 2'-4' of visiblity, try brighter flourecents, such as high-visibility blues, pinks, chartreuse or lime green. Muddy or black 1'-2' visibility, opaqueness takes over, black, brown, very dark blue and dark red are like silhouettes in mud. Stained dark green or brown water use multi-color tube jigs. Black-and-chartreuse or pink-and-yellow. Use a little glitter in real dark water. Muddy water try pink with silver, pink-and-white or spotted minnow. Chartreuse or pink in weedy areas. Bottom color, use pumkin on sandy bottom and chartreuse with rocky or dark bottom. East, spotted minnow. Midwest and South, charteuse-and-pink with silver do well.
    This came out a mag. I read in the past. It is a place to start. I use a translucent charteuse with red and silver flecks with pretty good success in fairly clear water 2'-5'. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

If there is one thing that I have learned from bass fishing it is that when the water is dark use dark colors if the water is clear use light colors. Works every time.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribit
    Water color and Weather. Depends on water color and how much sunlight. Lure color and presentation. High, clear skies and clear water dictate smaller lures. As water muddies larger lures. As water color increases,use more flurescent colors. Stained only see 1'-2' fish look for shape and color that is out of the norm. As water color clears go to lighter more natural, more translucent, more metal flake. As water color gets more stained, go to brighter colors such as whites, yellows and oranges. When you reach the point of 2'-4' of visiblity, try brighter flourecents, such as high-visibility blues, pinks, chartreuse or lime green. Muddy or black 1'-2' visibility, opaqueness takes over, black, brown, very dark blue and dark red are like silhouettes in mud. Stained dark green or brown water use multi-color tube jigs. Black-and-chartreuse or pink-and-yellow. Use a little glitter in real dark water. Muddy water try pink with silver, pink-and-white or spotted minnow. Chartreuse or pink in weedy areas. Bottom color, use pumkin on sandy bottom and chartreuse with rocky or dark bottom. East, spotted minnow. Midwest and South, charteuse-and-pink with silver do well.
    This came out a mag. I read in the past. It is a place to start. I use a translucent charteuse with red and silver flecks with pretty good success in fairly clear water 2'-5'. lol
    I will have to agree with the above. I have certain colors I like to fish in clearer water (chartreuse, pink, red/white, blue/white, and white) but sometimes this is not what the fish want. A couple weeks ago we fished a Friday and caught the majority of our fish on a white Riverside curly tail. The next day, with no change in water conditions, we could not catch a fish on white. We changed to a black/blue and a black/chartruese and wore them out. Point is, you have to show them what they want.
    As far as brand or type, I like the Yum curly tail (1.5") and tube (2"). The fish seem to hold on to these baits well.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

panfish assassins - shad w/ chartruse bellies
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast