Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Louisiana night fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Louisiana night fishing

My younger brother and I tried night fishing for crappie last Thursday.
    We started fishing around 5:00pm and caught 6 keepers in the first hour. We thought that as the sun went down the action would get better. That proved not to be the case. We ended our adventure with 8 keeper crappie (10") and 1 bream.
    We were fishing a small lake on the levee and caught the keepers on Black with white sparkle tail tube jigs while trolling at a very slow pace.
    We tried vertical jigging, casting with corks, spinner baits, the only thing they wanted was a trolled bait on are very near the bottom.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Try anchoring down and put out some lights.Im sure you'll be pleased.Minnows are the bait of choice , tightlined.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Try anchoring down and put out some lights.Im sure you'll be pleased.Minnows are the bait of choice , tightlined.
    Big E,
    Never did that before. Should the lights be out on the water before nightfall, or does this make a difference? Do you use a lantern or the floating light?
    Sure sounds like fun to me. Might give it a try this weekend.
    Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    Big E,
    Never did that before. Should the lights be out on the water before nightfall, or does this make a difference? Do you use a lantern or the floating light?
    Sure sounds like fun to me. Might give it a try this weekend.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Deacon.......I rig my lights just before it gets black dark, easier to get everything where you want it, and will save your batteries and lantern fuel. I use the coleman lantern and a floating light on poles rigged to my boat, but there's new lights now that are probably better. If you use a dc light, take a spare battery and hook up to it to keep your troll and cranking batteries from being discharged. Bass pro shops has a new light with a black light and a standard fluorescent that can be rotated to whichever you want to use for $33.49. There are also submersible lights that you can lower to just above the school, and it would be my guess they will be more expensive. I have read on this forum that they work well, and no bright lights to attract 'skeeters. Be on the lake early enough to find your spot, anchor, and get rigged up so you will be ready when it gets dark. Seems to work better if you don't fish directly in the brightest light, but in the outer edges.
    I'm glad you caught some crappie on your first night trip, a good start always cultivates interest and the desire to try again. And no blazing sun w/temps over 100 degrees! Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Gator Having Venison....test

Have any of you guys seen this? Pic taken from a chopper, I have no idea where, but if you live in the south, it makes you wonder "What was I thinking, wade fishing in this swamp?"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

We started fishing around 5:00pm and caught 6 keepers in the first hour. We thought that as the sun went down the action would get better. That proved not to be the case. We ended our adventure with 8 keeper crappie (10") and 1 bream.
    We were fishing a small lake on the levee and caught the keepers on Black with white sparkle tail tube jigs while trolling at a very slow pace.
    We tried vertical jigging, casting with corks, spinner baits, the only thing they wanted was a trolled bait on are very near the bottom.
    I use propane lanterns i bought from Wal-Mart, for about $12 a piece. They screw onto a 16 oz canister of propane that I attach to a stick (the canisters have chain handles) and let the canister sit an inch in the water. It attracts bait fish, which in turn attracts Crappie.
    "GET THE NET!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunChris1
    I use propane lanterns i bought from Wal-Mart, for about $12 a piece. They screw onto a 16 oz canister of propane that I attach to a stick (the canisters have chain handles) and let the canister sit an inch in the water. It attracts bait fish, which in turn attracts Crappie.
    CajunChris1,
    Thanks for the idea. Propane would be the way to go
    I really want to get rigged up for night fishing. Mostly for the summer months. This would be a good way to beat the heat.
    How's fishing in your end of the woods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Lights...

Deacon........I've been looking around in the past crappie.com venue and found info on fishing lights. Both threads were posted by "Cane Pole" and many voiced their opinion. If you haven't already ran across them, look on page 3 past threads of crappie.com under "Lights for Night Fishing" and "Pics of My Nitelites for Woodguy". Lots of opinions and info.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie or sacalait

Bro. I was there and I remember catching sacalait, what ever they are called
    i sure had a great time pulling in those slabs. They are not fixin to turn on
    now bro. word is they have, we need another trip .
    Last edited by sacalait steve; 07-23-2004 at 06:17 PM.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{