Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: another spider rig question

Post Thanks / Like

Default another spider rig question

for those of us who don't have a trolling motor, when drifting using a spider rig set up, should you drift with the wind at your back or in your face? thanks for any advice.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hard for me to imagine spider rigging without a trolling motor. I see people drifting all the time, but just setting out there poles to one side of their boats. I say drifting sideways would be the best. Let your lines drift on one side of the boat, moving the rods around as the wind shifts your boat around. Just a guess though.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    for those of us who don't have a trolling motor, when drifting using a spider rig set up, should you drift with the wind at your back or in your face? thanks for any advice.
    Since I do use a trolling motor and always have 2 people in the boat, the boat is always going forward. Usually the person in the back of the boat catches the most fish and I believe its because he can get his baits further away from the boat. There are days when they are inquisitive and I do better. So I guess to answer your question, it would be weather they are nosey or skittish. Try both ways if you can until you find what they want that day.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    if you dont have a trolling motor, the wind is probably gonna push your boat sideways, if thats the case, its best to put all your poles off the upwind side of the boat so the wind will be in your face. use a couple drift socks to slow your drift and you got a great way to catch em when they in the channels.if you drifting sideways with the wind at your back, and you are facing your rods the lines are all gonna back under the boat.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how it works.